help

cri123

My Mother wanted to file bankruptcy a couple of years ago, but couldn't due to her name being on some joint accounts with her father. She could no longer pay her creditors, so she stopped 3 yrs. ago. Her father recently passed and left her some money. Now she doesn't know what she's going to do with the money when she gets it. Will the creditors know she received an inheritance? She doesn't want to start to pay the creditors again, since she owes quite a bit and the inheritance is small in comparison. Any ideas? Thanks

Not an easy question to answer. I think my first suggestion would be to get copies of her credit reports and see how things are listed. If she has judgements against her, that might really muddy up the waters.

Its not real likely the creditors would find out about the inheritance, but stanger things have happend.

I had a friends mom who went through the same thing, your mom needs to hide what she can just to be safe, if she gets a lot of money or property, have it put in someone elses name, that way the CA's cant get their hands on it, and she needs to keep an eye on her credit reports and make sure they dont pull a snake move a file suit and try to get a judgement........

And I find COLLECTORS who insult other peoples' intentions and situations before they know all the facts equally disgusting....now back to the cubicle, Bob!

And what facts are you basing your assertion on? Who are you to presume you know me?

Because I think that people, especially those with the means to do so in whole or in part, should actually PAY for their legitimate debts; that makes me a collector?

I base my statements on the facts presented; not on what isn't. If the "mother" has legitimate reasons for why she can't pay, fine, let the poster give them but don't call me a collector because I respond to the information provided.

It wasn't all that long ago that paying for one's debts and keeping one's word was considered showing integrity and being a grown-up rather than a child.

It's the "don't pay any debt under any circumstances" mentality that will slowly but surely erode the consumer protections we currently have.

Umm, SURE, Bob...how could you be a collector (laughing big-time)

Folks, just read his posts....

Seriously, I agree that all who CAN pay, and still are legally OBLIGATED to pay, should pay...I know I do....

I just question someone who jumps on someone with the tone you display.

I will give you this, you ARE consistent!

Seriously, I agree that all who CAN pay, and still are legally OBLIGATED to pay, should pay...I know I do....

My tone??? Oh please, tell you can hear my "tone" on a message board.

Yes, astiman, I am consistent…I’m consistent because I live my life and give my opinions based on principles that don’t change with the wind.

If you want to believe I’m a collector, fine...do so…everybody is entitled to be wrong.

If you want to know the facts about me, that’s fine too…just PM me…I’m willing to reveal as many personal and verifiable facts about myself as you are willing reveal to me about yourself.

Easy does it.... Robert's comment does not make him a CA.

There's some truth to his statement. This site does not promote people "hiding" assets in order to skip out on their debts.

Chances are the CA's are going to petition the estate anyway for payment....

• 1 year later...

astiman, you are way out of line here. We do not allow personal attacks, period.