Newb - Advice on JBC and Verizon bill that I do not owe. . .

T-rex2

Great site, I have found a ton of info on here. Here's my story.

I received a call from JBC claiming I owe a Verizon bill for $34 from 14 years ago? I have never to my knowledge ever had verizon phone service. Using info I found on this site I faxed and then certified mailed a letter asking for DV and including cease and desist instructions. They have continued to call me. I spoke to a person day before yesterday and explained that I sent a Cease and Desist letter and that he was breaking the law by calling me. He said "we must have not gotten the letter". I explained that according to the USPS they received it the day before at 10:53 am. He then said, "They must have not opened it yet."

It has been two weeks since their initial contact and they have never sent me a letter with any type of DV. They recieved my letter on Monday and are still calling me. I have kept good records and most of the calls are saved on my phone, which I am going to record to a CD. I don't want to sue, but I think I have done everything I should have done and still haven't seen any results. It seems them continuing to call is a blatant violation but I mean, what should I do next? (also, apparently KY has a 15 year limit on debt, so it's funny that this is apparently 14 years old.) I mean I hate to be stubborn on principle, but I am not paying a dime to someone if I don't owe the bill. I have impeccable credit but I issued a fraud alert to the three companies (initially it sounded so crazy that's what I though it was till I did some research) but I have yet to receive my credit reports in the mail. I doubt they would post something 14 years old, but I have never really dealt with this sort of thing before. If they continue to blatantly break the law should I seek legal advice?

Hey T... yer in my old hometown!!!!

PM me.. my lawyer who is out of Louisville, KY just filed a Federal Suit against these bozos

I will give you his number in PMs

JBC is bad news... they will break the law.. and continue to do so.

You need to sue them to make them go away.

also, apparently KY has a 15 year limit on debt, so it's funny that this is apparently 14 years old

My understanding is that phone service is more along the lines of an open ended contract for which the SOL in KY is only 5-years! You might want to take a look at Whychats "Guide To Answering A Lawsuit For Credit Card Debt- HOW TO ANSWER A TIME-BARRED LAWSUIT" http://whychat.5u.com/answer.html

Verizon didnt even exist 14 years ago... they were another company then.. so unless they have proof that you owed the original company they are Sheet outta luck!!

Call the lawyer I told you about.. tell him you are having trouble with JBC and Associates.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. Kept getting calls, contacted a lawyer, but turns out I didn't need him (fingers crossed). I sent my second letter outlining the cease and desist, outlining the time and dates they had called me illegally and for the third time asked for debt validation. It's been almost three weeks and I have heard nothing. No calls, no mail. I don't expect it's over, hate to get my hopes up, but it appears that the second letter with intent to sue wording may have actually worked.

I will post again if anything else happens, but in the meantime thanks for all the help and support.

Once again, great site!

T-rex

I haven't paid much attention lately to what kind of hijinx are going on in the debt collection industry-but this is slightly insane...

This outfit is ringing your phone off the hook, ignoring your written communications, and quite literally "courting" legal disaster, for a 14 yr old $34.00 debt(Did Verizon even exist 14 years ago???)

This smells like flat out scam to me; they'll wrench a few bucks out of the ill-informed or easily intimidated consumers and disappear when things start heating up.

Shady debt collector?-sounds more like common thieves to me!