Never received my letter from Asset...

karihager1982

Okay - on May 25th I settled a debt through A$$et Acceptance for less than half of what I owed.

I told them that I would not agree upon anything, until I received a letter stating that there was an agreed upon amount, and that after they received the money, I would receive a settlement letter stating that the account was completely satisfied.

Well - they faxed me over a letter that states:

Dear Kari:

Per our phone conversation on May 24th, 2005, we came upon a settlement agreement of $495.00 to settle the above mentioned account. Payment must be received by 5/27/05 and upon clearance of the agreed funds; and your written or verbal request, Asset Acceptance LLC will send you a paid account letter. If the said funds are not received by 5/27/05, this offer will be null and void.

If you have any further questions, please call me at 1-800-455-2554.

This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

Sincerely,

(My CSR - with a signature)

So now - it has been about 7 business days - and I have not yet received a letter stating that the account was satisfied.

I've called several times already, and each time I call, my CSR tells me that yes, they received the payment (VIA Money Gram) the SAME day that I sent the payment out. She also said that they had sent out a letter on the same day the payment was made.

So - what should I do if after a few weeks I do not get it, and they keep giving me the run around??? Should I write them a letter? The last time I did that - they didn't respond.

I just don't think it should take that long to get the letter to me - seeing as they are located in Warren, Michigan and I only live 10 - 15 miles from there! lol.

What do you think?

Thanks for the reply - I guess I should be patient...lol...that's one thing I am not very good at. :)

When I did call them - they said that they had 'sent out the letter' but maybe they have a system that it has to go through in order to get it to me.

Well - If I don't get it here in the next few weeks, I will try again. :)

Okay - on May 25th I settled a debt through A$$et Acceptance for less than half of what I owed.

I told them that I would not agree upon anything, until I received a letter stating that there was an agreed upon amount, and that after they received the money, I would receive a settlement letter stating that the account was completely satisfied.

Well - they faxed me over a letter that states:

Dear Kari:

Per our phone conversation on May 24th, 2005, we came upon a settlement agreement of $495.00 to settle the above mentioned account. Payment must be received by 5/27/05 and upon clearance of the agreed funds; and your written or verbal request, Asset Acceptance LLC will send you a paid account letter. If the said funds are not received by 5/27/05, this offer will be null and void.

If you have any further questions, please call me at 1-800-455-2554.

This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

Sincerely,

(My CSR - with a signature)

Kari-

Not to rain on your parade, but did you ask for a pay-for-delete? It appears you may have simply asked for a settlement-satisfied status. This does you no good. What did you specifically ask for?

FCS

Kari-

Not to rain on your parade, but did you ask for a pay-for-delete? It appears you may have simply asked for a settlement-satisfied status. This does you no good. What did you specifically ask for?

FCS

FCS - No, I did not ask for a PFD letter. My intentions were to try and get a PFD - but I know that trying to get a PFD is a long process, and many creditors will reject you several times before accepting it. I personally don't have time for that right now.

I simply want to pay off my debt, even if it means my CR is marked PAID/COLLECTION (or whatever they mark it.)

I just wanted a letter sent to me stating that the account was Paid and satisfied. (Which they agreed to in the letter they faxed over to me.)

So the 'Paid Account' letter that I am waiting for - I want to send in to all three CRA's so they can update the TL to show that the account was paid.

I know that a 'PAID/COLLECTION' does absolutely nothing for me or my credit...but I wanted to take care of my debts, and not have to worry about owing the creditors.

When paying a collector anything other than the full amount requested, it is VERY important to get in writing that paying the agreede upon amount constitutes "Settlement In Full" of the obligation and that written statement should be before any pyament is made.

Also nice but not as important is getting them to agree in writing to remove their reporting from the credit bureaus.

Once you've made your payment, they have no reason to do anything for you.

You may be Ok but don't be surprised if, at some point in the future, this or some other CA comes after you for the difference. :(

Well - I finally got my settlement letter from Asset Acceptance. This is what it states:

Client Acct#: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Asset Acceptance LLC Acct#: xxxxxxxx

Dear karihager1982:

Please be informed that the aforementioned account with Asset Acceptance LLC was paid on 05/26/05 and there is no longer a balance due and owing.

You may use this letter to notify any creditors that the account is paid.

If the payment instrument is returned "not paid" for any reason, this letter will be null and void.

Feel free to contact this office with any questions you may have.

This is an attempt to collect a debt. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

Sincerely,

Debt Collector

ASSET ACCEPTANCE LLC

So now - IF for some reason they sell this debt down the road to another CA - can I use this letter to prove that the account was paid?

Thanks!

- Kari