ANYONE dealing with Alexander Wright and Associates from Tx

They're telling me that they are filing a complaint with my county's "District Attorney's office". They also told my minor son I could go to jail and tried to pry info out of him. Any ideas? One lady last month left a message that she had a "criminal complaint" against me. I've never even gotten a speeding ticket. What's wrong with these people.

Welcome to the CIC. You're dealing with a prime example of a sleazy CA showing you every which way to violate the FDCPA (by making false statements and threatening action they don't plan to take.) Good for them. Could mean $$$ in your pocket. I hope you kept the message they left regarding the "criminal complaint." If you're in a one-party taping state, tape any future conversations with them, although it isn't advisable to speak with a CA on the phone. Did you DV them within 30 days of their first contacting you regarding this debt? If so, then their contacting you is another FDCPA violation. If they haven't already put a negative TL on your reports and do so after you've DV'd them within the 30 days, another violation (it's considered continued collection activity). If you haven't DV'd them, then do so TODAY (being sure to advise them of their violations under the FDCPA); however, if it's past the 30 days from their first contact then they aren't prohibited from further collection activity (just from illegal collection activity). If you don't have caller i.d. then get it and advise your son not to answer any unidentified calls. Their comments to him are the most heinous and I'm sure the FTC and your state's AG would love to know about them. (By the way, it's pretty funny that they would allude to a District Attorney taking on a collection case. Yeah, right. :roll: )

Tell us a little bit more about the debt. When was the date of last activity (DOLA). That way we can try to determine whether the debt is past your state's statute of limitations (SOL).

Will also need to know what state you're in.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. The message only stays on my Bellsouth voicemail for 5 days. I'm going to get another answering machine. I did leave a message for the caller asking him who he represents. I also informed him that D.A.'s handle criminal complaints and there would be no further contact by me until he stipulates whether I am being charged with a misdemeanor or a felony. Lastly, I advised him that his response must be in writing and we cannot proceed any further until I receive it. Btw, I'm not in Tx. I'm in La. Yes, I did tell my son not to give out any info but that woman scared him bad enough that he called me at work. They wont even say the NAME of their agency. I had to call them back to get their name. I'm pretty sure it's for a car repo back in the latter part of 01 or early 02 that was in N.C.. I was laid off of work and lost just about everything.

Until you get a new answering machine simply tape the CA's messages the old-fashioned way by holding a recorder next to the phone receiver (hey, way back when I was a yung'un that's how I taped my favorite songs off the radio!). Have they sent you anything in writing. If not, then per the FDCPA they must send you a letter containing the mini-miranda within five days of their first telephone call to you. Because of their conversation with your minor son, if it were me I would immediately send a letter to the FTC in Washington, D.C. and your state's attorney general , with a copy to the CA (once you determine who they are and their address), advising of this CA's illegal actions. I am pretty certain that the CA will disappear into thin air and you'll never hear from them again. They most likely will sell the debt to another junk debt buyer/CA, but you will then be armed with all the information you need to do battle with them now that you've found this site.

Your CA's name and contact info may be on this list (thanks sisflomi, wherever you may be:

http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31719

Here's a great thread on state recording laws (thanks RA):

http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17947

(I really, really, really would love to hear that you got on tape one of this sleazy CA's conversations with your son.)

They just want to get sued, that's all. Why not oblige them? Just go to your local radio/spy shack and pick up a phone recorder.

Then, call them back or the next time they call, just start asking innocent, unspohisticated consumer questions "can I go to jail for this?" "can you garnish my wages?" "I don't want my son to have a criminal record"

and on, and on.

Just keep handing them more rope.

Then, get in contact with your state's atty gen, local newspapers and TV stations, FTC, and send them a copy of the tape. Talk to a consumer atty (craig Jordan in Dallas comes with good recommendations) and let him take over the rest.

Are they reporting this debt?

Breathing easier, In Tx, you can DV at any time, they have to cease collection efforts, and OC's are included. Also, you probably want to get an in line, FTC approved phone recorder. $50 from radio shack.

If you talk to them again, make sure the tape is rolling. No, you don't have to tell them you are recording, either.

FYI, you can sue the collector personally as well, which I would do in the case of these losers.

Call Bellsouth like yesterday. Ask if they archive voice mail and tell them it is evidence in a legal matter.

I'd sue them just because they have used this tactic with others.

Talk to a consumer atty (craig Jordan in Dallas comes with good recommendations) and let him take over the rest.
Breathing easier, In Tx, you can DV at any time, they have to cease collection efforts, and OC's are included.
The OP is in Louisiana, not Texas.
If you talk to them again, make sure the tape is rolling. No, you don't have to tell them you are recording, either.
Right. Louisiana is a one-party taping state so you don't have to advise the CA that you are taping.