Sign in to follow this  
Been_Ponzied

"Specialty Reports" - Big Brother alive and well?

So, according to this, and FCRA, a Specialty reports data base can have information about my reputation, my personal characteristics, my mode of living, and my character noted in their "consumer report." But I am not privy to that, because what I get is only a "file"? Is there no way to see the juicy notes about us that go from business to business in these "Speciality Reports"? Please tell me I'm reading this wrong!

www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs6b-SpecReports.htm#4

The “Other” Consumer Reports:

What You Should Know about “Specialty” Reports

This states that there is a difference under the FCRA between your “report” and your “file.”

Under the FCRA, a “consumer report” is:

…any written, oral, or other communication of any information by a consumer reporting agency bearing on a consumer’s credit worthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics or mode of living ….(FCRA §609(d)(1))

Your “file” is:

…all of the information on [you] recorded and retained by a consumer reporting agency regardless of how the information is stored. (FCRA §609(g))

In other words, the report is the document provided to the employer, landlord, insurer or creditor. The report reflects information collected and compiled at any given time. Your “file” on the other hand is the information the consumer reporting agency maintains about you. Your right to a free disclosure is to your “file,” not your “report.”