NEED HELP QUICK-DELL FINANCIAL!

My wife and I have lived in our house for 5 months and for the past four weeks we've been getting phone calls for the previous owner from CIT and Dell Financial. We've told them that he's never had this phone number and he no longer lives there but they keep calling. So not really thinking about the phone calls, my wife applied for a Dell Preffered account and received a denial of credit letter in the mail. This makes me furious by the way! The letter states that Dell Financial had contacted CIT regarding their credit decision the were unable to approve my wife because she has a prior account 60-90 past due. Well the problem w/this is my wife or I have never had an account with Dell. I called and spoke to customer and verification dept and that told me there was nothing they could do to stop the phone calls and nothing they could do to get my wife approved until we mail the denial of credit letter back in and explain the situation with another letter attached. The reps I spoke with were all non compliant and seemed to care less about my situation. My question is what to do next to stop the phone calls and who should I contact? I am tired of getting phone calls and my wife wanted an account with Dell.

Your damages are in the nature of a tort: they have harassed you. Have your lawyer drop a letter on them.

As far as denying you credit because they mixed you up with someone, it would only hurt you if that information showed up on a CR or caused one of your other creditors to changes your terms or deny you credit. I might start by writing Michael Dell a letter explaining what Dell doen wrong, and asking who they share information about credit decisions with since you do not intend for this to hurt your credit. Send it Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. Copy your state's AG and the FTC

RA, couldn't an arguement be made also under FDCPA § 807 (8) Communicating or threatening to communicate to any person credit information which is known or which should be known to be false, including the failure to communicate that a disputed debt is disputed.

I know it is going to be a tough road to prove the OP notified them via phone.