Citibank EZ-Sav- Trying to do the right thing still cost me!

CreditDiva

Citibank are quietly promoting their e-savings product which rivals ING!..so I thought I would enroll in their new 3.25% e-savings product...I must have asked the CSR three times if they do a hard inquiry..and she assured me it was a soft pull...lol and behold today I get a nice alert ....a nice big fat Hard Inquiry for opening a savings account..even though I have had a checking with them for about 12 years..! :evil:

Never, never, never trust a phone rep when they tell you they will only do a soft pull. My guess is that many don't know the difference between a soft and hard pull. They have a quota to make and will tell you just about anything to get you to be quiet and sign up for whatever it is they're selling (including savings accounts). I made the same mistake last year after listening to a radio ad re mortgage refinancing and calling their 800 number to ask some questions. Told the phone rep that I had my reports and scores in front of me if he needed that info to answer my questions. He said it would be so much easier for him to simply pull my report and score. I said no, don't want the hard inquiry, thanks anyway. He said wait, wait, wait, it will only be a soft pull...honest. ha. Sure 'nuff, the next day when I pulled PG, there was the hard inquiry. Got it deleted after multiple calls to EQ and getting the right rep.

I got the hard inquiry when I opened up a checking account with Pentagon Federal Credit Union.

I ended up closing the checking account after a couple of months because it wasn't a true free checking account.

Yeah, free only if you keep a minimum of $500 at one time...

Only a handful of banks check credit when opening up a checking account but that may change...