Jamia

Is it illegal for 2 CA to attempt to collect on one debt?

I have two collection agencies attempting to collect on the same debt (same original creditor, same account number). Arrow Financial and Cambece Law Firm both claim they are trying to collect for CACV on a Maryland National Account. I have gotten letters from both Arrow Financial and Cambece within the past 25 days. I have sent DV letters to both. I just want to know is this common and if so, is it legal? Thanks.

Perhaps unusual, but probably not illegal. How old is the debt? Has the OC charged off / sold to another lender? Its possible that the first letter was from the purchaser, and the second from their representative in your state...do CA's in your state require a license?

DV's to both is good...wait to see if either responds and check your credit reports...

The debt is about 3 years old. Actually, the last payment was made around 12/02. (sorry I don't have all the info in front of me). The first letter was from Cambece Law and the second was from Arrow Financial. If I remember correctly, the Cambece Law one said something about Arrow Financial vs. me. I think it also mentioned CACV. Then the second letter (from Arrow Financial) said they had been retained by CACV to collect on the debt. I will have to go back and look at them both this evening. I was just shocked that they both had the same account numbers. It will be interesting to see how they respond to the DV letter.

I am finding this process really confusing. Thank you all for your help.

Who is CACV?

I would consider the efforts of two CAs to collect the same debt at the same time to be harassment and deceptive ( which one do you pay? same amount or different? ).

Keep all your letters and jot down time/date/notes of any phone contacts you receive. Then consider suing. Remember there is a 1 yr SOL on FDCPA violations.

Thank you so much for the link! I was surprised to see Scott Lowery's name on that list! This is the previous "attorney" that had been trying to contact me (maybe a year ago). I haven't been answering the phone and talking to these people, and now I have asked that they quite contacting me over the phone. One of these collection agencies, I don't know which name they were using, actually told my dad I was being sued. Hopefully, I will be able to get rid of them soon!

I went home and looked at all my letters, and I wanted to clarify something I made a mistake on. I have two letters from Cambece. One of my letters from Cambece says they are attempting to collect a debt for Arrow. The second says they are trying to collect for CACV. I have another letter from Astra Business Services who is trying to collect the same debt for CACV. All for Maryland National Bank and same account number.

I also have an "unrelated" letter from Arrow saying they are collecting on a different account for Citibank.

Okay, I think I have it all straight now! :roll:

I have the same exact thing with the original creditor being DirecTV, assigned to Allied Interstate and RMA, both showing $198 balance. RMA shows 1st DOA as 11/01 and Allied Interstate shows 1st DOA as 9/01.

I hate to try and contact OC, afraid of opening a can of worms but if they can't go back and extend my reporting date I guess it doesn't matter.

I was sued in 2002, and the first letter I got from the lawyer had one name on it a (jdb), not the Oc.

The second letter from the same lawyer has the oc and the ca names listed as plantiffs.

Also I should mention on the lawsuit, only the jdb is listed.

I am not sure, but it seems something is not right, and I was never served any summons, which did not allow me to DV.

I am sure this debt was brought by a jdb, but can they list the OC and the jdb on collection letters.

Could I write the OC and ask them are they part of the lawsuit, I am assuming if they sold the debt, then they forfeited their chance to sue.

Anyone have any ideas/advice?