Is this Legal??

xurlii

About 3 months ago my DH DV'd West Asset Management (FKA National Asset Management Enterprises). Finally after sending them 2 DV letters, they stopped writing. However, in the mail today my DH got a letter from an attorney collection firm- Gerald E. Moore & Associates. But something is not quite right about this letter. It seems rather strange that the stationary, the typeset, the PO box,bar codes, lines and spaces used, and zip code given is EXACTLY the SAME as that of West Asset Management! :shock: The only EXCEPTION is that the letterhead is different- it has the words "Law offices of Gerald E. Moore & Associates, PC, A professional Corporation, PO Box 724087, Atlanta, Georgia 31139, 866-206-1885." Could this be West Asset Management PRETENDING to be a law firm? I checked the Georgia State Bar association directory; it doesn't list an attorney by this name. Is something fishy about this? Your opinions please!

I searched Martindale.com, which is the online version of Martindale-Hubbell, the directory of lawyers. There is no Gerald E. Moore anywhere in the U.S., much less in Atlanta. However, Martindale does not cover all the attorneys who may be recently established, as well as those who practice, how shall we say? less than scrupolously.

I work in a law firm, albeit in a specialty totally different from consumer law, but I can tell you that any respectable law firm would never indicate a P.O. Box on the letterhead unless it was also accompanied by a physical address. This is so people can send stuff using overnight services such as FedEx that cannot deliver to P.O. boxes.

I have called that 866 number and it is indeed for a Gerald E Moore law office. I also searched the Georgia Bar website and here is what came up:

Mr. Gerald E. Moore

Company: Gerald E. Moore & Associates PC

Address:

Suite 120

2221 Newmarket Parkway

Marietta, GA 30067

Phone: 770-618-2218

Fax: 678-385-5357

Email: gmoore@gemalaw.com

Admit Date: 06/04/2002

Law School: Univ of Santa Clara

It sounds like this is a fairly new lawyer. The website is www.gemalaw.com. I hope this helps.

From the Hibbs website:

"Bud Says...

This is a VERY sleazy operation, being perpetrated by liars, thieves and con-men. Gerald E. Moore runs a VERY dirty collection agency, his thugs have been taped posing as attorney's threatening legal actions that violate state and federal laws.

This Hhouse of SCAMS is to be avoided, NO money, NO checks by phone, NO credit cards. Gerald E. Moore's activities should be reported to the GGeorgia State Bar, as an ethics complaint. (instructions below). Moore is a sleazy, low-life lawyer operating this 'Legalized Racketeering' under the guise of a law office. Moore and his goons are trash, they should be treated as 'dumpster waste.'

Originally, from CA, licensed in 1997, Moore got his start at Bank of America in their bankruptcy division. Moore ended up in GA, where he now operates this collection agency under the guise of a law office. This allows his 'collection-goons' to lie, threaten, intimidate, and harass consumers with violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Typically, these collection-idiots will threaten legal actions they know will never take place in the hope of stealing money from unsuspecting consumers.

Complaints regarding Gerald E. Moore should be filed with the Georgia State Bar Ethic's Committee at: www.gabar.org

A law license does NOT give a jerk like Moore the right to terrorize consumers with bogus threats of litigation, seizure and other illegal actions. Moore can be held accountable for the actions of the lawlessness of his employees.

"

From the Hibbs website:

"Bud Says...

This is a VERY sleazy operation, being perpetrated by liars, thieves and con-men. Gerald E. Moore runs a VERY dirty collection agency, his thugs have been taped posing as attorney's threatening legal actions that violate state and federal laws.

This Hhouse of SCAMS is to be avoided, NO money, NO checks by phone, NO credit cards. Gerald E. Moore's activities should be reported to the GGeorgia State Bar, as an ethics complaint. (instructions below). Moore is a sleazy, low-life lawyer operating this 'Legalized Racketeering' under the guise of a law office. Moore and his goons are trash, they should be treated as 'dumpster waste.'

Originally, from CA, licensed in 1997, Moore got his start at Bank of America in their bankruptcy division. Moore ended up in GA, where he now operates this collection agency under the guise of a law office. This allows his 'collection-goons' to lie, threaten, intimidate, and harass consumers with violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Typically, these collection-idiots will threaten legal actions they know will never take place in the hope of stealing money from unsuspecting consumers.

Complaints regarding Gerald E. Moore should be filed with the Georgia State Bar Ethic's Committee at: www.gabar.org

A law license does NOT give a jerk like Moore the right to terrorize consumers with bogus threats of litigation, seizure and other illegal actions. Moore can be held accountable for the actions of the lawlessness of his employees.

"

Tell us how you really feel Bud Hibbs.

Wow! Thanks everyone for your very helpful and informative responses!

I just did a search for Gerald E. Moore & Associates on the Better Business Bureau website and this is the physical address they gave: 2243 NW Parkway, #300B, Marietta, GA 30063. However, according to a previous post there is another entirely different address: Suite 120, 2221 Newmarket Parkway, Marietta, GA 30067. I'm confused. To which address should I send a DV letter? Should I send it to both addresses?

Again your responses will be appreciated!

All lawyers are under the FDCPA as well. Remember that. And, it's not uncommon for law firms and CA's to be linked together. That does not make them sleezy. I used to work for one that did very good work and actually tried to help people avoid court to ge their matters settled in a reasonable way. Bud needs to calm down a little and think before he types.

Moving right along. Go ahead with the DV letter and see what they do.