Sign in to follow this  
changochulo

Equifax wont delete even with e-Oscar #

I have a collection agency listed on my Equifax file. I called collection agency and spoke to a VP there. She verified on the phone that the account does not belong to me and faxed me over a letter where she states that the account is not mine. In the letter she included the e-Oscar confirmation # stating she submitted the deletion. Now, Equifax has not deleted the trade line, and ive sent the letter from the collection agency twice, and twice they verified it. What can I do to get it off NOW? Do you guys suggest lawsuit against equifax??

Seems like Equifax wants to give you some money. Have you been denied any credit as a result of the collection listing? If so add its value up. That's your actual damages for willful non-compliance. Get a lawyer and have at them.

Seriously, get a lawyer to represent you on this one.

The FCRA allows a consumer to recover damages, both actual and statutory as well as court costs and attorney fees. What that means is that you win, they pay your lawyer. Nearly all lawyers take FCRA cases on contingency (IOW you don't pay a dime unless they win) since they can take their fees directly from the looser.

It will likely be filed in Federal Court. But your lawyer may choose to use Circuit court and let the CRA pay the fees to have it removed (read: transferred) to Federal.