Sign in to follow this  
boyd1119

Payed collection that was not mine, now what do I do?

As simple as that, I payed a collection that the CA even said over the phone was not mine and that if I payed it they would fax over proof that it was payed and that it was not mine so I could close on my house. Well upon the actual closing it still had not been reported as paid or removed so I had to pay it again. What do I do know?

How did you pay them? Check by phone? Credit card? Contact your issuing bank and demand a chargeback/refund. Do it NOW! You typically have 60 days to do this from the trasnaction.

Get a new bank account as well.

FYI, in the future, don't talk to them over the phone and don't let them have your banking info, no matter what.

Now...tell me the truth...is ANYBODY here surprised that a CA would lie to someone or even that they woudl commit outright fraud??? :)

Only someone who has never owed a debt or ever had to deal with a CA could be surprised at that!

On a more serious note; while I understand the presure a person is under when trying to close on a home loan; your experience is a good exapmle of why it is usually better not to take such short-cuts on issues like this...if this debt wasn't yours then it would have been much better in the long run to fight it than to pay...it's kinda of like "Law and Order" when a person confesses and then later, wants to exclude the confession from his trial. :)

I got this from Daniel Edelman...

Once you pay on a debt to a collector you have made an admittance that it was yours. (paraphrased but that's the brunt of it).

The burden to prove it wasn't yours becomes very high once you make a payment. Your only recourse is to file suit in Federal Court against the CA for extorion under the Hobbs Act, and for commercial fraud.

It's too bad you didn't think to record the call as that would have made it a slam-dunk case.