Sign in to follow this  
luca

Sentry credit used threat of UCMJ articles to my boss

Sentry credit called my office and spoke to my Boss to leave a message for me. He told my boss that I needed to call him ASAP concerning my violation of UCMJ article. He then gave the article number and paragragh.

The UCMJ is not set up in paragrahs just article numbers. By the way the article he referenced was concerning sexual abuse and DUI.

Do I have a case here?

Yes I'm in the military. Thank goodness I have a great rapport with my boss. Otherwise the guy made it sound like I was being investigated for sexual abuse or DUI. I really want to get this guy because he is a complete jerk and when I returned his phone call and told him not to call my wprk anymore his response was thats too bad we'll call who we want

Start off first by reporting them to the FTC, and both their and your State Attorneys General - not for violating the FDCPA, but for slander and harassment.

Then contact your State Bar and see if they have a referral program to put you in touch with a consumer protection attorney who may take your case on contingency.

Okay that sounds good. I don't think I would ever have had the guts to take on litigation but I'm furious now. I actually tried to be nice and sent A very polite letter asking that they validate the debt and this is what I get?

I don't think I would ever have had the guts to take on litigation

that's what an attorney is for... :wink:

wait...you sent a leter asking for validation and then they called you? If so, you already have them on violations on that alone.

PM headin' yer way as well.

Woo Hoo! Fun with UCMJ

Contact your commander/supervisor and have them counsel you on the phone call. Get it in writing, memorialize what was said, and hold on to it! Make sure your supervisor documents the specific chapters cited.

Next stroll on down to JAG and get it in writing from them that the military is not a collection agency, your superiors can't tell you how to spend your money, and you are not in violation of any UCMJ articles.

Hell, they can't even prefer charges!

They can only contact your supervisor to attempt to locate you, not to try to prefer criminal charges.

Next, start looking for a good consumer atty or read the Flyingfir method over at AOC and do it yourself.

Wow...that doesn't sound like Sentry at all. I'm not doubting you, but that's really out of character for them. They're a pretty mild collection agency.