Too Excited Too Fast?

ba0501

I recently DV'd CMI and they deleted their TL's right away, no questions asked(first DV also). I was very excited because this was my first DV and the beginning of my credit repair. I thought this was going to be so simple. Today, I checked my TrueCredit reports and AFNI-BLOOM has taken over this account. Talk about frustration! Am I going to have to play the CA merry-go-round game? What should I do now? Start the DV process again? Since CMI had no right to collect, does this mean that AFNI-BLOOM probably won't either? Any advice would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, this is par for the course. You will have to DV the collector that has taken over.

This time, though, you have one extra piece of ammunition. The FDCPA specifically states that it is a violation to "misrepresent the character, amount or legal status of any debt." If the account was sold or transferred to a new collector, and the original collector failed to communicate that the debt was disputed and that validation was not provided upon demand, then there is a violation. The new collector and or the original creditor can be held vicariously liable for that.