credit-nightmare

NEGATIVE ACCOUNT IN POSITIVE SECTION ????

I disputed a negative account with all three cra's.

The investigation is done and the account I disputed still has all the same information BUT now instead of being listed under the negative section of the cr it is listed under the positive accounts section. ??

I called the cra and the lady told me that it is now a positive account. I told her it still has all the negative history including paid in settlement , it just moved from one side to the other. She again insisted that was fine it is still a positive reporting !! WHAT !!

How can it be positive when all the negative info is still listed no matter what side its listed under .

Is she right or should I fight that somehow ?

Sounds like they just changed a code on the account to change the way it is calculated. Accounts that have bad payment histories can still have a positive credit score effect, so you have to balance that.

For example, you have a credit card account for 6 years and pay on time up until the last 3 months where you settle the account out for less than full balance. That account can still be a positive effect on your score because of how long you held it. Your score can actually go down if it was completely deleted.

However, if you still feel that it needs to be addressed, you are correct in that the CRAs cannot maintain any information that is inaccurate...including "comments" on a tradeline. The problem is, that they may just decide to delete the whole thing if they can't get the furnisher to confirm the inaccuracy. That may drop your score significantly if it is a longstanding account.

It was a value city furnature account that went to collections ( I believe their inhouse collection agency ) and I settled it for less than full balance almost 5 years ago. It says charge off/ settled so I just thought that would bring my score down or make it harder to get credit...but if it can actually help my score I may be better off leaving it alone , right ?

Is settled seen by the companies I apply for credit thru or is it just the score they receive ?

Thanks.

I have had a negative account on the positive side...

I had a student loan that was now paid in full except that it went into collections. It was loaded with late payments. I kept disputing it until it was removed.

Over time, some bad accounts actually do turn positive but that is really a relative term. There is still bad information attached to it but as long as you are developing good trade lines, then it is not a bad idea to get it removed.

I have the same problem, well, not everything. I also disputed a charge off on my account about 3 weeks ago. When I checked my credit it had moved to the positive side but all the negative information is still there. I don't get it. My FICO score is 718 with experian and my fico shows the bad dept on the positive.......

I haven't diputed it since because it is on the positive side and the account is not even close to paid in full. The last activity as 2002.

Any suggestions???

I have had a negative account on the positive side...

I had a student loan that was now paid in full except that it went into collections. It was loaded with late payments. I kept disputing it until it was removed.

Over time, some bad accounts actually do turn positive but that is really a relative term. There is still bad information attached to it but as long as you are developing good trade lines, then it is not a bad idea to get it removed.

I had a car loan with 30 day lates and a CO'd cc. The lates on the car loan got to be 5 years old and for some reason, the CO became 'pays as agrees.' At that point, both TL's disappeared from Experian.

Is it possible that this is a way to keep negative information on your report? I mean just because it is listed under "Positive", yet shows negative information such as late pays, charge off, collection etc. it is still there for anybody to read it.

Since negative information falls off in 7.5 years and positive information stays there longer (indefinately?) they'd be keeping negative information available when possibly it should have fallen off.

Just a thought.