Experian told me that I couldn't dispute....Is that true!

abennett

I called Experian today because I have 4 inquiries from a company who I advised specifically not to pull my credit and they did. When I talked to a rep at Experian and she told me I had to contact the creditor. Does anyone have a letter or know where I can find a letter that I can send to the creditors who pulled my credit without permission.

I feel kind of like a broken record on this....

Inquiries are a matter of record and the CRAs are not legally allowed to delete them. They can only supress them if their record system has provisions for it (and they don't). Read this letter from the FTC, particularly question #5:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra/cohan2.htm

Now if a company pulled your credit after specifically being told not to, you can sue the company that did the pull for non-permissable purpose under the FCRA. It is a minimum $1000 liability payable to you for each pull on each bureau.

FCRA Section 616

(B) in the case of liability of a natural person for obtaining a consumer report under false pretenses or knowingly without a permissible purpose, actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure or $1,000, whichever is greater;

I called a Crapital One who placed a hard inquiry on my CR. The guy was really nice to me. He stated that his company would submit to the CRA a letter telling them to delete the inquiry. If they can delete mine they can delete yours. They have the ability to delete it. Send them this letter ClickHere and just make a follow up call to them (the company who place the non-permissive purpose inquiry on your CR) in about 1 week after you send the letter. Try to get a letter from them because if you get the "letter of deletion" the CRA will take it off after about 5 days once they receive the letter from you. Sometimes when you call the CRA the customer service rep may not know how to dispute it. Ask to speak to a supervisor a person with binding authority I'm sure he or she can do it. good luck... :wink: