Tax Lien Question - #2

JenShea

I did not file taxes for 2 years in the state of Massachusetts - ultimately I was sent mail from the Dept of Revenue indicating a proposed owed amount based on their estimations. Ultimately a tax lien was filed. I did file the taxes at that time, and owed nothing, and the tax lien was released at that time.

Here is the problem.

I never really owed the tax, nor did I pay the tax - it was wiped out with the filing of the tax forms. However, the MA DOR paperwork portrays the tax lien as paid on the release paperwork, and of course this is now how it looks on my credit report (s) for the next 7 years. How can I get this off totally? Any advice?

Here is the problem...

You jack with the government, and the government screws you...

The government doesn't care who is right or wrong but if you ignore them, they are going to put some heat on you...

The same thing happened to me. I had a sales tax permit and I didn't pay the sales tax for a while. They went ahead and estimated the amount that I owed and then put a lien on me.

It was no where near the amount they claimed but that didn't change the lien. The lien was satisfied but it jacked my credit.

My worst mistake on that was to think of the government as just another creditor. They are not.

They have a lot more means to screw with you than a creditor does...

I eventually got my lien removed from my credit reports but it was more difficult than my other credit repair.

There are three things that a public record has that you can dispute...

Name

Address

SSN

You need to go to the courthouse and get a physical copy of that lien. You need to see it for yourself.

And make sure you get things straightened out with the CRAs. Like, get your name correctly spelled and your addresses updated. I have a private mailbox that I have used for years and I get all my mail sent there even though I have lived in several apartments and in two houses. One old address is where I had most of my bad credit at. It was a snap to get that deleted.

Dispute the name if it is abbreviated, etc.

Like is it spelled Johnny but your name is John. There are plenty of technicalities like that.

Next, dispute the address. My old address was zapped by all three CRAs and I bugged them about it with every round of disputes. Like, I have never lived there, never been associated with that address, you got me confused with someone else, etc...

And finally, the SSN. My lien had the SSN and then at the end of it, it had this:

I explained to the CRAs that this SSN was not mine because it is this... Experian even wrote back to me and said that the lien does have my correct SSN and it is on that upper right top box. There, I had them by the cojones. I used that letter to explain that my SSN is this:

XXX-XX-XXXX

NOT

XXX-XX-XXXX-1

Yeah, it was a technicality but I wouldn't let it go and I was blunt in the way I explained it. A couple of disputes later, EX deleted it.

But here is the most important thing.

There are 12 months in a year. Be prepared to send out a round of disputes like within several days after you get all the results. You have to be on the ball on this. Your goal is to be able to send out like 10 disputes per year.

Taking 30 or 60 days to send another round of disputes is not going to get you anywhere because you got to bust their balls on this every change you get...

There are three things that a public record has that you can dispute...

Name

Address

SSN

You need to go to the courthouse and get a physical copy of that lien. You need to see it for yourself.

And make sure you get things straightened out with the CRAs. Like, get your name correctly spelled and your addresses updated. I have a private mailbox that I have used for years and I get all my mail sent there even though I have lived in several apartments and in two houses. One old address is where I had most of my bad credit at. It was a snap to get that deleted. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? One old address where you had most of your bad credit at?

Dispute the name if it is abbreviated, etc.

Like is it spelled Johnny but your name is John. There are plenty of technicalities like that.

Next, dispute the address. My old address was zapped by all three CRAs and I bugged them about it with every round of disputes. Like, I have never lived there, never been associated with that address, you got me confused with someone else, etc...

And finally, the SSN. My lien had the SSN and then at the end of it, it had this:

I explained to the CRAs that this SSN was not mine because it is this... Experian even wrote back to me and said that the lien does have my correct SSN and it is on that upper right top box. There, I had them by the cojones. I used that letter to explain that my SSN is this:

XXX-XX-XXXX

NOT

XXX-XX-XXXX-1

Yeah, it was a technicality but I wouldn't let it go and I was blunt in the way I explained it. A couple of disputes later, EX deleted it.

But here is the most important thing.

There are 12 months in a year. Be prepared to send out a round of disputes like within several days after you get all the results. You have to be on the ball on this. Your goal is to be able to send out like 10 disputes per year.

Taking 30 or 60 days to send another round of disputes is not going to get you anywhere because you got to bust their balls on this every change you get...

You want the CRAs to remove this? Right???

You are not asking the FBI, CIA, or the dog catcher to check this out?

The CRAs, unlike the FBI or CIA, are for-profit businesses. They make money by selling your credit report to to people who are willing to pay cold hard cash to them. That is revenue.

They do not make money by ensuring that your credit report is complete and accurate. That is a cost.

In other words, the CRAs devote the least amount of resources to their "cost" department, thus they are not going to investigate this any further than from where they "got" their information from.

The CRAs are not the government and they do not have governmental or police powers. In fact, they are not even closely monitored by the government like the way banks are. They are private businesses. They are not going to ask the IRS for permission to take a look at your tax return...

Like an idiot, before I found this board, I disputed a tax lien and the CRA was lucky enough to get me to send in the release paperwork, basically substantiating the lien as mine (though released) without me even knowing at the time they do not check with the courts. (I KNOW, I KNOW!)

Now, I have disputed old addresses and am awaiting the letter back stating that this has been completed. Once I get the documents from the CRA's, can I re dispute the same thing? Did they actually keep my release of lien paperwork on a file for me or what? I think it is worth going again since I am brighter now, but what do others think?