defeatCA

Why is my CURRENT verizon phone-bill on my credit-report??

Hi,

Since when does Verizon report their phone-bills to the credit-bureaus (we're living in Florida)? That never happened before. I thought utility-bills could only be reported in certain states. This account is up-to-date and has never been late, why does it certainly show up on the Experian-report??

Technically, I don’t believe a cell phone account IS considered a utility bill (i.e. they are not regulated monopolies as are natural gas companies, electric, water/sewer, etc). Even if they were considered a utility, I’m not aware of any laws precluding utility bills from being reported to credit bureaus; I think simply that in most cases, the utility providers simply don’t; not that they can’t.

At any rate, I’m not sure what you are concerned about - cell phone companies do extend “credit” to account holders and as long as the information is correct; what’s the harm?

It is not our cellphone-bill, it's the bill for our home-phone line (we don't have our cellphone with Verizon..). They never reported to the credit-bureau and the guy from Experian had never heard from such a reporting either. He said "they usually only report if you fall behind and the account goes into collection..."

What I dislike is the remark about this account:

Type of Account: "Unknown - credit extension, review, or collection"

I don't think that looks too good to potential creditors. It might not harm your score, but it doesn't look very nice, since "COLLECTION" is mentioned, and I don't think that should show up on an account that is current!

Cell phone companies can be predators when they want to be. Reporting at all just gives them an opening...

:?

Yes, they can, bu I think you are being a bit oversensitive :)

At any rate, again, whether a land-line or cell service, utility or not, I don't believe they are precluded from reporting but reporting does have to be accurate.

That said, I suspect you are just the victim of one computer talking to another and things getting mixed-up in the process. Why not ask Verizion why they are reporting this...somebody at Verizion made the decision to repot this so ask them why and see what they say.

Also, you can dispute with the bureau if the account is not being reflected correctly and it sounds like it isn't but I would still go back to the source of the issue which is Verizion.

I called Verizon twice:

First, I contacted their billing-department and the lady told me that they wouldn't report their phone-accounts on a regular basis. She had no clue why that happened.

Second, I called a number in Texas (was listed on the credit-report) and she told me that that was very strange and that they will investigate what's going on.

I also disputed this account with Experian sice Verizon told me they would only report late payments.

I just don't want to see this bill mentioned with a remark that might indicate it could be a collection. If they report it as a utility, that's fine to me...

I think you are going to have to go much further up the line that some basic "customer service" person or even that person's "supervisor" and I'd do most of it in writing.

I think peraonally, I'd write a letter (CMRRR of course) and direct it to an appropriate department (customer relations, etc...I'm not sure how Verizion is segemented) and give them a reasonable amount of time to get this corrected and get back to you. If they don't get it taken care of in a reasonable amount of time then I'd turn up the heat by going FAR up the ladder.

There are numerous ways to find out direct addresses and phone numbers for top executives and/or owners of companies and sometimes, that's what you have to do to get action...trust me, CEOs don't like getting certified letters addressed specifically to them about some matter that should have been taken care of at a far lower level. :)

As I said, I believe they have a right to report but they have a legal obligation to report accurately and in such a way that a "good account" doesn't look like it isn't a good account.

The lady wants to give me a call in the next days. Let's see what she finds out. If it's really normal to report this account, I can't be the only one in Florida who will contact them (IF they report those accounts, they should do that with everyone's account, at least in my State).

On my verizon bill they had a notice that they would be starting live credit reporting in the near future. About three months later they started reporting to the cra's . the "limit" is always the amount of my last bill.

When I called verizon and spoke with a supervisor she told me they are doing live credit reporting . If its up to date it will be listed as a positive account , if its late it will show that way. Not all states are doing it , but mine happens to be one that is :( so no more late payments to the phone company I guess .

Thanks, that would explain it all. :lol:

Just strange that the folks at Verizon - especially the billing-department - never heard of that before.. :evil: Or is it that strange since I'm starting to expect them NOT to be informed.. ?8-)

Thanks, that would explain it all. :lol:

Just strange that the folks at Verizon - especially the billing-department - never heard of that before.. :evil: Or is it that strange since I'm starting to expect them NOT to be informed.. ?8-)

Humm...customer service reps not knowing squat about what's going on with the company they represent...now really, does that actgually SURPRISE anybody??? :)