Do I have a case?

Just last month I discovered a collection account on my CR that I'd never seen before.

The company is Anderson Financial Network (AFNI) and there is no information about who or what the OC is/was.

I DV'd them, 30 days later, no response.

I just sent out my second DV, saying they had 15 days or I'd file a lawsuit for violating the FDCPA section 809(B). I have not recieved any response.

I just checked my credit report and lo and behold, they re-aged the account to October and upped the collection amount by $30. Not only that, Experian reported the account verified.

I plan to file a lawsuit in county small claims, but I have a couple questions:

The DV I sent was not in the initial 30 days, but I have received no correspondance from this CA and this was the first time it appeared on my CR.

I plan to sue for violating:

FDCPA Section 809(B)

FCRA Section 605©

Defamation of Character

I have copies of the letters I've sent along with CM mail receipts. I'm in California.

Do I have a case?

Just last month I discovered a collection account on my CR that I'd never seen before.

Do I have a case?

Without reading any further than the first line, the answer is no. In order to be ready to sue on FCRA/FDCPA you want to have a lot more than just one month of violations. Just keep a paper trail, and copious notes. Also when you are ready to sue be ready for Federal District court.

I disagree completely, Ken. For someone just starting out, aiming for 20 grand really isn't the way to go. If he files a quickie one just off the violations he's already accrued, he can get the TL deleted and pocket a couple of grand. No muss, no fuss.

One needs to define the objective. If your objective is to delete the tradeline along with significant monetary damages and you are in a position to wait then the best course of action is probably to WRITE NUMEROUS LETTERS over a period of time clearly demonstrating the WILLFUL noncompliance of the collection agency to resolve the matter.

If you are doing the above then you may very well have a case for significant damages.

While in principle and maybe in practice, one can file lawsuit quickly - i.e. day 1 after failing to comply with the 30 day deadline - you are unlikely to get significant damages. Most likely, you won't have WILLFUL noncompliance but just neglient noncompliance. You are more likely to get a quick deletion of the TL.