The CRAs are tracking your purchases.

Radio_Guy

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

I ran into this in my Systems Analysis and Design Textbook,(Copyright 2005)...

One new use of Bar coding is the tracking of an individual's card card purchases for the purpose of building a consumer profile that can then in turn be used to refine marketing to that individual or type of consumer.

Yeah- what about advanced skip tracing and debtor tracking?

This has been going on for a very long time.

But I don't think it is the CRAs that are involved although perhaps a subsidiary of a parent company.

However most businesses track the purchases of their customers and analyze it later. It is a pretty old process in retail.

The only thing that makes it so different is that we now have very sophisticated software that is affordable to do this. Wal-Mart is using software developed by former CIA employees to predict trends based on current purchases.

This is taking data mining to a whole new level although it has been theorized that it doesn't really take much to predict certain outcomes.

The information was always there. It was just a matter of using it...

Hi Ravenous Wolf

Thanks for the additional information....

I always have viewed the CRA subsidiaries as the same as the CRAs themselves.

Your point, (and my point as well,) is that modern computing power, (with its Data Mining capability,) coupled with CRA collusion is becoming ominous.

It is also rather startling to see this camly described in one of my textbooks.

Best wishes,