Do you sign your cards?

A little off topic....I work part time retail, and I notice a lot of people write "see id" on the back of their credit cards. However, about 75% of the time I ask to see the id, they thank me and say no one ever asks them...which leads me to believe it isn't that effective. (Although may deter a thief from using it?)

just wondering how many people don't sign their cards for this reason. I just two new ones and was curious to hear.

I read an aritcle somewhere that said that a credit card isn't valid if it isn't signed (because that is supposed to be how the person agrees to the "contract" with the credit card company). According to this article, people aren't supposed to accept credit cards that don't have the person's signature on them.

With that said, I work in a position where I also receive credit cards from customers, and I've seen a lot of cards either unsigned or with the words "See ID" on the back. Even with a signature I check the ID, and honestly I'm not bold enough to refuse a credit card without the signature on the back. I figure it's prevalent enough that the credit card companies probably aren't inclined to try to enforce it because they wouldn't make as much money.

Unfortunately I think that prevention is really the only effective way to keep a thief from being able to put charges on your credit card.

I read an aritcle somewhere that said that a credit card isn't valid if it isn't signed (because that is supposed to be how the person agrees to the "contract" with the credit card company). According to this article, people aren't supposed to accept credit cards that don't have the person's signature on them.

I had heard that as well. Plus, it does actually say it on the back of the card.

I sign my cards, but it usually takes me a month or two after I get them to build up the motivation to find a pen and do it. I've never had a problem with it. Usually in those rare instances where the clerk even looks at the back of the card (Emphasis on rare) and it's not signed, they just ask for my license.

I never sign them - and if a store seizes my card because of it, there will be Hell to pay since none of my cardholder agreements assigns a merchant to act as a "policing force".

I don't sign all my checks and carry them around with me either.

My "contract" with the card company came when I clicked "submit" - I agreed to the terms and conditions of the cardholder agreement. I did it again when I activated the card, and I do it every time I sign the receipt that says "I promise to pay according to the terms of my cardholder agreement".