Does Statue of limitations apply to Dept of Treasury

normajean

Does the statue of limitations apply to a debt with the department of the Treasury Financial Management Service? Can you VOD a collection agency( Diversified Collection Services) that is handling a debt for the Dept. Of Treasury? Can the collection agency garnish a pay check while the account is being VOD.

Anyone know anything about this subject?

Thank you

I have a feeling no one here knows the answers to those questions for certain as I think this is pretty much unexplored territory.

My first inclination woudl be to say that a collection agency is still subject to the FDCPA no matter what kind of debt they are collecting. However, it is also true that government agencies like the IRS, Education (student loans) etc have far-reaching powers unlike mere-mortals and can attack accounts and take funds without due process. :)

I'm sure there will be some good advice coming but I'd tread carefully here. If you do owe the debt, I'd be concentrating on making a deal you can live with.

This is a tricky subject. But I do know that with student loans from the DOE, the FDCPA does not apply to them but does apply to any private CA that they hire. Maybe the same is true for the Treasury or IRS but maybe not. My educated guess is to agree with Robert but each agency could certainly have different rules. Talk to an expert or spend a day in a law library. Sorry, that is the best I can offer here.

Grim, you'd be surprised. I just finished with a case in which the Depatment of Interior was going after a debt 11 years old. We had it dismissed by summary judgement. What a maroon! Concerning the USPS, they were privatized some time ago. As a part of the deal the employees were allowed to continue on federal benefits, but that's it. (I used to date a postmistress or the female version of a postmaster) What about this is federal?

Okay, not enough info here. I think we're all in the middle. Maybe we need to start at the beginning. How did the USPS get involved in this in the first place. What happend? When did it happen? Why did it happen. How did it happen? The "who question" has already been answered.

It was my brother in law. He was overpaid for vacation and sick time while working at the post office. He ended up getting fired so they said he needed topay it all back. He did not have the money so just this year they tookit out of his tax return. I think that is how it went down :roll::roll: