NCO replies to 'Remove Inquiry' request with 'Who are you!'

BraveDave

NCO Financial Systems has responded to my letter informing them I didn't authorize their inquiry of my credit report.

They're response: basically "Who are you?" They asked for my social, a reference number on a collection, etc. I guess it makes sense that they need this, but I'm reluctant.

FWIW: NCO did attempt to collect on a ~$80.00 AT&T Wireless debt from me about 3 years ago. I disputed that debt then, and it's no longer showing up on any credit report. (Indeed, I'm just trying to sweep away the crumbs on my reports, I'm down to trying to remove 30-day late pays and extra inquiries)

What should I do? Send 'em my SSN? Or leave it alone?

Yeah... that's what I figured. The other startling thing about NCO's response was it was a real letter, with a real ball-point pen signature.

BTW... at the same time I wrote NCO, I also wrote the CRA to request removal of the inquiry. I haven't yet heard back from them.