First Premier--opinions?

Rose

I know I already started another thread, but I didn't want my First Premier question to get lost in all the bashing of Capital One :roll:

So thanks to you guys, I'm going to avoid Capital One like the plague. I'm a little hesitant about Orchard....anyone had any good/bad experiences with First Premier? That's the only other one whogavemecredit.com has listed as "easy approval", but that always seems to come with some disadvantage.

Stick with Orchard and steer clear of FP. They charge massive fees.

I have had an orchard for over 2 years now. Always been good to me, good with increases etc. I pay online which is free with Orchard.. FP wanted like 13.00/month to do it. Stupid..

You asked us what we thought of Capital One, so we told you... we could have just said "they suck" and left it at that, but that would not have given you the information you needed--i.e. why they suck--to make a decision. :)

And yes, stay clear of FP. Why? (**BASHING ALERT**) By the time you pay the plethora of fees, you will have no credit left on the paltry line they give you. They're the very definition of predatory.

Given the choice, I'd go with Orchard. It's the most reputable of the three, the consensus is that they give regular increases and they report correctly.

I would run from 1st Premier. I had an account with them. They never raised my limit. They do report monthly to all 3 CRB's. But the fees are crazy $6/month plus finance charges and annual fee of $48.

I called and cancelled and they said " our rate is only 9.9%" I closed the account and paid the balance. The next month they send me a statement they didn't refund my annual fee even though I cancelled the same month it was due.They slam on some bogus finance charge and a statement fee for a closed account. I call again and get the annual fee refunded. They say they will send me a check in 90 days for the extra money I was out.

The next month I get a statement with a credit balance and with a fee of 3 bucks for the statement because the account is closed.

I finally resolved all the issues but it was a major hassle since their 800# doesn't work and so you have to call long distance.

I have a first premier and except for the fees which arent horrible if you pay your bill every month. I only use it to build credit and it seems to have helped. my score went up about 10-15 points accross the board, ive only had it for 3 months.

I did pay off my bill every month or kept less than $50 balance. But my limit was stuck @ 300 unless I wanted to pay for an increase. $6/mth for the year is $72 plus a $48 annual fee total $120 seems excessive for a $300 balance.

I'll stick with Orchard bank reasonable annual fee and higher limit.

would you say that it helped your credit score in the long run... Thats all im getting at. I agree it is a company owned by the mafia, but at the end of the day it did increase your credit score to help you get better credit cards. sometimes you have to pay for the mistakes or to build credit whether you have bad credit or no credit. Its a short term shortcut to help the big picture and if you see it from that angle than yes it is worth it. No matter what you do it will cost you something to get the credit you want

Well what we are telling you is initially you will get a 200 limit.. with 198.00 in fees. Ok credit score is going to tank once that hits. Ok so you pay the 200 a couple days later..

Here is the thing. Any card will help, it's how easy is it to manage. Orchard has a nice website that doesn't hit you with fees to pay your bill. I like Orchard because I can put 20.00 on the card.. then in a week or so pay it off. FP charges you everytime you do that. So you can never get ahead. Use a legit card to get re-established. Don't take the chance with those guys.

But.. its your credit.

You asked us what we thought of Capital One, so we told you... we could have just said "they suck" and left it at that, but that would not have given you the information you needed--i.e. why they suck--to make a decision

Wow....that sounded defensive! I was thanking you for the bashing. I'm glad I asked, or I might be having a crappy Capital One Card in my wallet right now 8-)

Thanks guys--for all the advice!

I think it was the suggestion that we clouded your issue with our C1 bashing... coupled with the rolling eyes. A heady mixture! :lol:

But hey, no matter! :D If I have saved another innocent consumer from becoming a victim of Capital One, my work here is done. 8)