Should I try for a secured card?

odschild

Hello,

I'm new and have a question. I filed bk about 3 yrs ago. At that time I had Capt. 1, First Premier and Cross Country Bank cards that were included. I have 2 tax liens on the report that I"m making monthly payments on for a total of about $6000 debt and a car loan that I've always remained current on. I have pulled my credit reports.

In an effort to begin to rebuild, I applied for an Orchard Bank Card and a Capt. 1 (don't know why on that one). I got a letter from Capt. 1, thank goodness, saying that I had previously defaulted so "no go". They didn't even check my credit thankfully. I checked online at ORchard and, at first, it said my app was approved. Then I answered some identity verification questions and then online status checker said I was not approved.

My questions are: Have I just simply burned my bridges with all of the cards, other than secured, that help to rebuild credit? Should I try that USA Gold card? OR should I pay off the liens and try to get OTHER credit? I feel like I've hit a brick wall. BTW, my husband and I filed BK together and he has liens also but GOT an Orchard Card?? Also, there was only 1 mistake on my credit report and I've disputed that already.

thanks

I had two Capital One cards included in my BK, and they approved me a year after discharge. I also was approved at the same time for a Household card even though a Household card (IKEA) was included in my BK. So there might be other reasons (income, perhaps?) you're being denied.

I know the USA Gold is a sponsor of this site, but Grim's opinion of them is "worse than worthless". It just allows you to buy overpriced items out of their catalog.

Are those three you mentioned the ONLY cards you IIB'd? Good news is the ones you've burnt are three of the worst ones out there with their extreme fees (1st Premier and CCB) then there's Crap1.

The BK combined with liens is a big bruise. At least pay off the liens, then go for secured CC's. Some CU's will do a secured CC. BoA does a secured card but Grim's not sure if even with secured card if BoA is BK friendly or not.