What now?

I sent the letter of validation and then I resent the letter with a statement saying they were in violation because I never heard from them. I waited the 30 days the first time and then I sent the second letter. Today is day 16 and I got a summons in the mail. The summons is dated June 30,2005. I received this once in July. They have not vailidated the debt. Is the summons their response? Aren't they supposed to send validation? What do I do know? Do I ignore the summons? PLease help. Thanks for any help and advice.

Stephanie

If indeed the summons is from you local court...then NO...do not ignore it. If you don't respond, they may get a default judgement against you.

But...before you do anything else...call the clerk of court that supposedly issued the summons and make sure its valid. CAs have been known to send legal looking documents to scare you into doing things you may not have to. If its fake, ask the court what to do about it...

If they orignally sent you this "summons" in July...and then again in the last week...this all sounds fishy to me...

The summons is from a lawyer for the plantiff. The summons was originally given to me in July, then i got it again this week with the same date on it. It is dated June 30,2005. Also can they put a lien on my house if it is not in my name? They have threatned to do that. I have heard nothing from these people at all. I sent the first validation letter and they rec'd it August 20.I waited the 30 days sent the next letter with a statement telling them about being in violation. It was 16 business days later that I got the summons in the mail.(again). I think the summons is real. It was hand delivered to me the first time. It was sent regular mail this time. Since they didn't validate it and I did everything according to this website do I now file a lawsuit? What is a judgement? I'm not disagreeing with the debt. I disagreeing with the amount owed. Thanks for taking the time in answering my post.

There should be a court date set. It seems strange to me that you'd get one back in July, and then another last week. Normally the court date is within like 60 days or so...

At any rate, is there a date on the summons? If not, then its phoney...if there is, be sure to show up in court that day.

A judgement is a court order that will force you to pay the CA money. If you don't have a house for them to put a lien on, they may garnishee your wages, or even seize and sell other property you might have.

You need to check with the clerk of courts to see if the summons is real...and if the case has already been handled.

Also...remember, the FDCPA is not concerned with whether you owe somebody money. Its about making them play by the rules when trying to collect...