Garnishment question

J Kelly

This is a forum for credit issues, not politics. However, if you wish I'm sure that we can delve into the multiple crimes of the Clintons, Dan Rostankowski, and James Carville just as easily. Either way, let's stick to credit and legal issues and not get personal. If you're going to start with personal insults, stay off this website. This website is intended to help people. Please help in keeping it that way.

This is a forum for credit issues, not politics. However, if you wish I'm sure that we can delve into the multiple crimes of the Clintons, Dan Rostankowski, and James Carville just as easily. Either way, let's stick to credit and legal issues and not get personal. If you're going to start with personal insults, stay off this website. This website is intended to help people. Please help in keeping it that way.

:LolPointUp:::laugh::

I would suggest telling us about the whole document. According to federal law, only 60% of your disposable income can be garnished. But all you're giving us is a sentence.

According to the US dept of labor, 60% can not be garnished. There could be exceptions to that (I don't know) but not for credit card debt which is what we are talking about here.

SO Equalizer, lets not twist the facts here.

Garnishments of 60 percent are only allowed for arrearages of child support debts when the garnishee is not supporting other children. What type of debt are we talking about here?

Also, no court can require anyone to work to repay their debts....unless it is a child support debt. Forced work is involuntary servitude which is banned by the 13th Amendment.

SO.......is this a child support debt? I think it must be.

No Mike, as JKelly already stated it is a DISCOVER CARD debt.

Garnishment IN THE STATE OF NC - excluding the Wal-Mart example - is NOT ALLOWED for this sort of debt. The SOL in NC is THREE years, pretty short. In addition, per FEDERAL law, even if garnishment for this type of debt WERE allowed, the MAX they can take per that Federal law is 25% and ONLY if you are making at LEAST 30X the Federal minimum wage. That's after Federal taxes.

Generally, wage garnishments by banks and loan institutes for car loans, credit card debt, and other personal debt items are not legal in North Carolina.
Title III also protects employees by limiting the amount of earnings that may be garnished in any workweek or pay period to the lesser of 25 percent of disposable earnings or the amount by which disposable earnings are greater than 30 times the federal minimum hourly wage prescribed by Section 6(a)(1) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. This limit applies regardless of how many garnishment orders an employer receives. As of September 1, 1997, the federal minimum wage is $5.15 per hour.

C'mon folks, let's put on the thinking caps! x:-) Civil contempt is punishable by fine. And in some states, yes, you can be ordered to find a job. This is very true for Wisconsin.

You can't be ordered to find a job, to pay a credit card debt. No one will be jailed for failing to pay a debt, other than taxes or child support and alimony.

I don't think unsecured credit card payments can be collected through garnishment.