medical bills - dr office

Kelly

My daughter broke her arm 2 years ago, I didnt receive any bills stating a balance and assumed it was paid by insurance. Now I have been served for judgement. The thing I want to know is 1) by not getting notified by mail can they sue me? They could have mailed and I didnt get it, therefore they can claim they sent something to me, right? 2) the proof they included with the paperwork is a patient information form signed by my mother, who took her to the dr as I was at work for her follow up appointment. Can they sue me when I technically didnt sign? I do know she was treated by them and want to pay what is owed now that I know about it, however, I am sure they are suing for way more than original amount.. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a single mother, no child support and my disabled parents live in my and only my house where I pay house and electric and they pay the rest of small bills..

thank you for your help

I didnt receive any bills stating a balance and assumed it was paid by insurance.

Bad assumption. Dr's offices bill your insurance company as a courtesy ONLY. YOU are responsible for the bill regardless and every Dr's office I've been in has a sign that says payment is due when services are rendered.

1) by not getting notified by mail can they sue me?

Yes, they can sue you w/o notification, although it stands to reason that they would make SOME effort to collect prior to suing you.

2) the proof they included with the paperwork is a patient information form signed by my mother, who took her to the dr as I was at work for her follow up appointment. Can they sue me when I technically didnt sign?

Yes, if its YOUR insurance that is being used, then YOU are responsible if the Insurance company doesn't pay.

I am sure they are suing for way more than original amount.

No doubt. They added on two years worth of interest and tacked on attorney's fees and court costs.

You need to find out WHY the insurance company didn't pay. Did they Dr's office fail to file a timely claim ? If so, they you may not be on the hook at all. Most insurance companies have a 1 year limit on claims, if they're not filed by then, then the Dr's office essentially screws itself. If they did file the claim, and it was denied, then you need to find out where they sent the bills and why the claim was denied.

thank you for your quick reply. what is considered being judgement proof? I am willing to pay the actual medical bills.. is there a good way to go about contacting the creditor and asking for a settlement?

What would you do in mysituation? i have already called to liquidate my stocks from work to get this handled. I am serious about working this out.

Thank you