BK, Foreclosure, Property Taxes..

willingtocope

It looks like the transfer of deed has not made it to the taxing body yet.

I don't know how Ohio handles it, but I know Illinois (outside Chicago since Chicago has different rules) if you didn't pay the taxes it would go to tax sale. An investor would buy at tax sale and if taxes aren't paid for X number of years then the investor would get the property. I think in the case of a foreclosure the bank holding the note has to catch up on anything in arrears. What happens in a Sheriff's sale I don't know.

Looks like technically yes, you are responsible since it is for 2004. But it's a case of you don't have the house anyway so what are they going to do?

Hey Willing, check the laws via your local JD, before paying taxes, you might not have to pay the back taxes and it might not ding your reports. In Ct. whoever buys the property assumes all the obligation of the taxes and the taxes are nomally always for the prior year, even when you purchased your property you paid for the prior year. Good luck!

www.lawdog.com