Am I being paranoid?

txgal_73

Hi, I am new and need advice. I pulled up my Experian credit report and there were two addresses listed where I have never resided. One was for a really bad part of town and the other for a pool contractor. I wonder if someone has stolen my SS#? My husband says I am just being paranoid. My chapter 7 bankruptcy was discharged a year and a half ago and no new credit has been opened (obviously). All the names listed are mine. Is it normal to have this happen on a credit report?

Hi, I am new and need advice. I pulled up my Experian credit report and there were two addresses listed where I have never resided. One was for a really bad part of town and the other for a pool contractor. I wonder if someone has stolen my SS#? My husband says I am just being paranoid. My chapter 7 bankruptcy was discharged a year and a half ago and no new credit has been opened (obviously). All the names listed are mine. Is it normal to have this happen on a credit report?

I think that it happens quite frequently, and it doesn't mean your identity has been stolen. The credit bureaus are notoriously inaccurate. If you call them they are usually helpful enough to delete these inaccurate addresses. (You have to have a report or file # to talk to them, though, which means you have acquired a recent report from them).

I don't see any reason old addresses, accurate or not, should be on a credit report. You should get them deleted.

The inaccurate addresses in your situation may be from what is called a mixed file. That is to say that somebody else out there may have a first name that is the same and a similar social security number.

With Experian the easiest thing to do is call them up and say that the addresses are inaccurate and you never lived at them. They should delete them.