Getting Added to parents credit card

erinmc76

I know sometime back, I read on here that if you were added to someone with good credit, credit card, that it would reflect positively on your credit report. My parents are considering adding me to one of their credit cards, but they are wondering if my bad luck (credit) will reflect poorly on their good credit. Anyone have any insight on that?

Thanks!

Yes, the entire history of the credit card will then show up on your credit report. If the history has been nothing but good, then that will help you out alot. Your prior bad luck(credit) will in no way reflect on their credit. However, if they give you a card and you then have some more bad luck, regarding that account, then yes, that will then reflect on their credit reports.

• 2 months later...
Technically, AUs are not supposed to show up on your credit report. You can easily take off any account from your CR in which you are an AU.

ALWAYS get put on as a joint user. This gets you the maximum credit advantage.

I know AU always does show up. If the credit card issuer ask for a SSN when appling.

I would not suggest getting put on as a joint user because you are at risk if the other party is ever late on the account. Plus if this happens you can be taken off if you are an AU but not a joint. Also if you are married I would not suggest jointing everything because you are at greater risk because everything is tied together.

The score wouldn't be any higher if it was a joint or an AU because the scoring software is looking at the following: Type of account it is, % of limit in use and how old it is. Those are the factors which affect your score. Not weither it is a AU or joint account.

Correct me if I wrong.

Brad