How bad is this????

tired

Just wondering something.......

Is sending over a "employee verification" via fax, with a SSN on it, to my employer bad? The fax came over on 3 seperate occasions on the same day and in plain view as my employers fax machine sits at the front door for all to see. Just curious how bad is this? The CA that sent this over has no judgement so I see no reason to send this over (other than I pissed the CA off 8) .

I wonder this because I have an employee that needed copies of his paychecks faxed over to his mother and I had to tell him that I was unable to fax them but would mail or they were available for pickup by him. Company policy says we can not fax "personal info" to anyone especially payroll info as our payroll checks have the SSN's on them (as well as other info). Apparently we can be held liable for someone seeing a SSN if someone pushed it...at least this is what I am being told by my supervisor. If I can not send items with SSN's on them via fax why can the CA?

It may not be in violation of the FDCPA if the purpose was for "employee verification" and not to notify the employer you are in default of a debt that they were collecting on which would probably fall under those statutes. Also, it is not unlawful to facsimile documents containing SSN's.

The fax sheet had the CA's company name on it....obvious to me it is a debt collector. But I guess they could skirt around that :cool:

This CA already knows where I work. They have called me there repeatedly, even after I have asked them not to and have asked both verbally and in writing, CMRRR. The CA had just gotten off the phone with me and faxed this over. The form asks for gen info and then how much I make and how often I get paid :shock: I have spoken to this CA at my home phone also. They have contact info on me and had spoken to me more than once before this fax came over. I'm sure it was a method to intimidate with. I have them on solid violations (hard eveidence) and was wondering if this might be one also.

Maybe it's just my companies policy to not fax identifying info. I would think in today's "identity theft" world people might be a bit more cautious.

The fax sheet had the CA's company name on it....obvious to me it is a debt collector. But I guess they could skirt around that :cool:

This CA already knows where I work. They have called me there repeatedly, even after I have asked them not to and have asked both verbally and in writing, CMRRR. The CA had just gotten off the phone with me and faxed this over. The form asks for gen info and then how much I make and how often I get paid :shock: I have spoken to this CA at my home phone also. They have contact info on me and had spoken to me more than once before this fax came over. I'm sure it was a method to intimidate with. I have them on solid violations (hard eveidence) and was wondering if this might be one also.

Maybe it's just my companies policy to not fax identifying info. I would think in today's "identity theft" world people might be a bit more cautious.

If you've told them not to call you and they did anyway, you've got them on FDCPA violations [15 USC 1692c](a)(3).

Tired,

If they have continued to call you at work even afte a CMRRR letter instructing them not to do so then you are obviously dealing with a real scumbag of a CA who cares absolutely nothing about the law.

I would suggest that you are probably going to have to initiate a suite against the CA or resign yourself to putting up with this kind of abuse.