does anyone know anything about restocking fees

Tsandy7

I think it's pretty common to charge a re-stocking fee. I have often been charged this fee upon return of an item....especially for vehicle related items. I don't think there is anything specifically wrong with this practice...I could be wrong of course. I do know that usually there is reference to this type of fee when you purchase something. I have read it many times before submitting an order over the internet.

generally a restocking fee is charged for returned items especially if you paid with a credit card, if the item was returned the company still has to pay the shipper plus they have to pay the credit card fees both ways one for the purchase plus the one for the refund. You figure they pay anywhere from 2-5% for the credit card fees both ways plus the shipping cost to you if no restocking fee was charged when the item was returned they lose out completely.

A restocking fee is only legal if they spell it out in their purchasing terms before you make the purchase. It cannot be arbitrary and they cannot levy a restocking fee if they made a mistake and shipped you the wrong item. Also, under the Mail Order Rule (FTC mandate) if you are shipped something you did not ask for, they cannot make you pay for it...It's a free gift.

See the mail Order Rule here: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/mailorder.htm#PART%20435%20--%20MAIL%20OR%20TELEPHONE%20ORDER%20MERCHANDISE%20RULE