***Approved for New Name and SSN ==> What do I do now???*

Hello to all!

I am a victim of domestic violence. I have been approved and given a new identity courtesy of my local courthouse and the SSA.

Steps taken

I gathered all the police reports, medical records, and protective orders that i could get my hands on.

Had my name legally changed and the name change was SEALED. This was done through my local county courthouse. Most name changes are public information but in situations like domestic violence and stalking, they will seal the name change order as they did in my case.

Next step AFTER the name change. It is so important to change your name first before doing this.

Went to the Social Security Administration and requested a NEW SSN (Social Security Number) due to domestic violence/stalking. In 1998 a new law by Al Gore was enacted that allows domestic violence victims to receive a brand new SSN without proving that the SSN is being misused.

Well I had to provide all the evidence i listed above, police records etc.. They will actually get the info for you if it is to dangerous for you to do it.

It took about 2 months. I applied in August and my new SSN was approved and complete by the end of October. I got approved for the new SSN even though I was 43,000 in debt.

Depending on what state you were born in you can receive a NEW birth certificate with your NEW name and your old name wont be listed so that you can go get your driver license without linking it to your old license, passport, etc..

Basically now i have a brand new identity, brand new Credit Record (Now i have to figure out how to get credit since now i legally dont have any credit)

So i am on this site enlisting for ideas on how this works. I am in my mid-late twenties and there is a few things that i am not clear on.

Will people look at me as being in my late twenties with no credit as suspicious?

How do i start all over again and get credit established? I dont even have a credit report with the bereaus yet as i have not attempted to use my new SSN yet.

All my children were given new SSN as well. I am going to burn the old cards since we wont be using them anymore.

Any ideas will help me figure out a plan. Thanks in advance

I am not familiar with your specific situation, but here is what I would do if I were you:

1. Get a copy of all my credit reports in my new SS# and make sure they only have my new information, and none of my old. (It can happen)

2. If you really want to build credit, you can always get a secured credit card that you have to start off with a savings account which you cannot dip in to. There are many out there. Start with your own bank. They usually take about $300 and up to start one.

3. In my opinion: I don't think that people would view you as "suspicious" at your age if you have no credit. A lot of people can't afford to leave home yet in their 20s, or they were in college and just didn't get into debt. Best wishes to you and your kids!

I think you are great for what you are doing! I was a stalker victim several years back and almost had to do the same.

There's select few situations where someone is given a "new identity" complete with SSN.

1. The example given

2. Witness protection

I assume the SSA or your lawyer told you that even though your debt is wiped clean, you also have no background. So any education or previous work experience is gone. When you move far away to start over, you might run into issues getting a job if they run a background check. Ever been fingerprinted?

What Grim wonders is, how are you going to convince your kids (I assume young kids) to not let it slip out they used to be "that name" and now their name is "this name" ?? "Hi my name used to be Bobby Smith and now it's Tommy Jones, I'm 7 years old" ...

Is the doer of this domestic violence doing a few years behind bars getting his share of DV from Bubba?

Many newly single moms your age--and older--have no credit. They stayed at home with the kids, never worked outside the home, their husbands gave them money when they needed it, and now that the marriage is over, they have nothing in their own names. Very common. Don't worry about that.

When you are able to get a job, you will be able to get credit in your name. Even if it's instant credit at a retail store with a $200 limit, you'll need to start opening accounts. And like someone else said, you can get secured credit cards too. Make sure they are with a reputable creditor that doesn't charge huge fees. Most banks offer secured cards.

I was also a victim of domestic violence in another country (England) and fled back here after living there for several years. Luckily I had an AmEx card there that I was able to transfer here to start a credit history (when I left here originally I was 21 and didn't even have a bank account). None of my credit cards in England counted here. You'll have to start off with Macy's etc. but it will happen. Good luck and God bless.

For all the great replies. Here is one thing i have going good on my side!

I have a job that i have been at for 1 1/2 years. I transferred to another location even though i am still with the same employer.

My employer has terminated my old self, and rehired my new self with the same hire date (so that my senority stays). They actually went to our corporate lawyer about all of this and was told there was nothing illegal about it so they were nice enough to help me. So now i have almost 2 years of verifiable work history. I just dont know how i got so lucky.

I feel much better now i was so afraid that once i went to get credit, i would have a much more difficult time then what i am reading here. You guys i so appreciate all your imput!

Now i have to figure out what to do with my old car! I am still paying on it but i dont want to be tracked down by my ex. In some situations voluntary reposession is the right thing to do..

Anyhow to anwser grims question...

My kids are afraid of their father. We have had many talks over this whole thing. Matter of fact they know NOT to refer to me as my entire old name. Even though my new name is completely different from the old. I still use a nickname. But they know why we are going through this and they dont ever want him around again and they dont want him to find us. I guess fear of a person will make a child understand what and what not to say.

Oh and grim, my ex he went to prison for 2 yrs after he stabbed me 5 times, and almost killed me. Can you believe that! 2 stinking years. He is out now though... I dont know where he is though because i am unable to interact or talk to any of my old friends. My old self no longer exists...

I can't help any more than what has been said with your credit situation, but I wanted to commend you for being so brave and getting you and your kids out of a very dangerous situation. Good luck with everything! And not that you don't know, but just be careful what you say here or anywhere online.

You need to write a book. :wink:

That is incredible of your employer. What good people they are. 8)

Now start applying for some store/gas cards (easiest to get) and maybe a secured MC/Visa. This is just to start out with. After about 6 months of good history with these cards, you'll be well on your way to a normal financial life.

We'll be rooting for you. Keep us informed. :goodluck:

I just hope you realize that this is a temporary thing for you (the new credit file). At some point, the two files WILL merge together. When you get a new SSN from the government...you don't actually lose your old one. Once the two numbers catch up to eachother, anytime someone pulls credit they're going to get the merged file and it will show both SSN's--which gets red flagged by most computers.

You are incorrect. Even the SSA dept has informed me to be very careful on using my old info with my new info to avoid "the merge"

My name and other identifying information is completely different now. They will not be merged together unless i make a mistake, which i wont. Thanks for the insight though.

That is the one of the major points of changing your name and getting the new SSN per the SSA because credit bereaus keep track of your address, etc.. and so do insurance companies, and other companies etc.. so by changing your name and SSN and all the old identifiers being different the merge doesnt happen.

One more thing to add.. This is how it works.

My old SSN record shows that another number has been assigned. Only certain members of the SSA with certain credentials can access the information. That way if i have to apply for disability or retirement one day i will get the correct amount based off of the records for both numbers.

My NEW SSN record does not have my old SSN on it. I was even shown that on the SSA computer by a SR MSS in the SSA Office. There is also a certain code that flags my new record as sensitive.

Credit bereaus use other identifying factors, Name, address, and phone number. All of those things are different with my new information so there is no merge.

Xan: I think you both are correct. Did you try to change your NAME AND SSN? The OP changed her name (first middle and last apparently), address, city, phone number, and her whole life. If you change your SSN only, then it would be easy for a merge to occur. However changing name, address, phone, SSN, and everything INCLUDING disposing of all old bank accounts, and credit cards (if she had any) then it would be a distant chance of a merge happening.

Ask Been_Ponzied. He/She changed his/her first name and the CRA's have two reports now and he/she has wrote umpteen letters to I think EXP to have them put back together.

Basically OP did what the government does for M.O.B. informants.

To the OP: That sucks your ex got only two years. Problem is my suggestion on future self-protection would not be a good one with young children around ... buy a gun and learn how to use it properly. Being a DV survivor you can get a concealed carry permit so long as the locality permits civilians to do such. I'm a strong advocate for proper firearms ownership but NOT with little kids, even if you hide it they will find it. And trigger locks are worthless. If you have to find a key in a stressful situation then you're screwed.

Hey Xan,

I didnt realize you were a victim of ID theft. I am so sorry to hear that! Thank goodness i have never had that happen to me! I didnt realize what you were referring too. You are right about the merge if all the old identifiers stay the same. Thats why the Dept of Justice and SSA recommends a name change prior to getting the new SSN. Matter of fact i was told that if the abused person (who is requesting the new ssn) does not change the name first, that is a factor on whether they are approved or not. Not that it would necessarily get rejected, but they look at it as if the person is not willing to go through that step, how serious are they about having a new identity..

Grim

Yep New bank account, utilities in new name, everything. Even kids school records reflect new identity. (thanks to the school district for that one) No association with any old friends or people from my past.

You are so correct on protection. I bought a pistol earlier this year and bought a box that holds it that is placed under my bed. Basically its a combination using your fingers. Example--4 keys and you press them in a certain order.

Then i go to thinking.. once my new ID is changed, i am almost guaranteed to be safe as long as i dont associate with any of the old people i knew. So i got rid of the gun this summer after applying for the new ID. I still havent yet decided on whether i should go get another one or just use the red pepper spray i keep next to my bed each night, along with the bat that lays next to me in the bed and the knives that i have strategically placed in certain areas of my home..

Crazy huh...

Red pepper spray will suffice. Little chance of that being taken from you and used against you and it's not lethal so you won't hesitate to use it unlike pulling a gun and firing. Which you know has all sorts of legal consequences with liberal DA's and whackjob liberal judges even if you're in the right by using lethal force.

Get the mace that has the sticky stuff in it and dye (if it's legal where you live). Spray some of that spooge into a creep's eyes and he won't be able to open his eyes for a week!

I know how it works--I looked into getting a new SSN following my identity theft. Did quite a bit of research on it. There are a number of articles on the internet that detail the whole procedure and what happens following it. One doesn't simply become a "ghost" (what lenders call people who are well over adult age but have no credit history) following the switch. You might be able to keep the 2 things separate for 6 months or even a year, but at some point it all comes together, "mistake" or otherwise.

So XAN,

Even if you got the new SSN due to identity theft and you immediately moved to a new address, new phone number, and all of that.. couldnt there still be 2 people with the same name? I guess xans note has me thinking now not that i would try to anything illegal. But it just seems pointless to get the new SSN if they can bring all that crap back to your new record. Then you would have to deal with the fact that you dont have any credit like me. What a mess!

Red pepper spray will suffice. Little chance of that being taken from you and used against you and it's not lethal so you won't hesitate to use it unlike pulling a gun and firing. Which you know has all sorts of legal consequences with liberal DA's and whackjob liberal judges even if you're in the right by using lethal force.

Get the mace that has the sticky stuff in it and dye (if it's legal where you live). Spray some of that spooge into a creep's eyes and he won't be able to open his eyes for a week!

I am smiling now! hehe. I didnt know they had mace with sticky stuff. That has got to hurt! You are right on all the legal consequences. People voted during this last election in some towns to completely BAN all firearms in the town. I thought to myself, what a violation of your civil rights!

Now i have to figure out what to do with my old car! I am still paying on it but i dont want to be tracked down by my ex. In some situations voluntary reposession is the right thing to do..

Which identity is on the car? New or old? If you trade the vehicle the only way it can be traced to you would be a title search and if its old identity then it would stop there.

Idea: sell the car for cash on eBay, forge the title and payoff the loan.

How far away did you move to "start over"? I figure you'd moved 500-1000 miles away. Family? if ex knows who your family is he could go after them. it's amazing what people will say with a knife to their throat or gun to their head. That is unless your family thinks you are deceased or something like that. Damn this situation you see in movies, not find people in real life that are actually doing it.

I am smiling now! hehe. I didnt know they had mace with sticky stuff. That has got to hurt! You are right on all the legal consequences. People voted during this last election in some towns to completely BAN all firearms in the town. I thought to myself, what a violation of your civil rights!

DAMN RIGHT!

Anyway, mace with sticky stuff used to be available to the public thru catalogs like Gall's. However it might be a law enforcement only item now. What it does it sticks to the assailant's skin and wiping it off only rubs it in and makes it burn even more. The dye is used if the assailant gets away and washes the mace off with water, the police can use UV light to show where the suspect was maced.

Anything short of going into witness protection and it catches up. If you moved immediately after? Your rental app has previous address on it, which usually gets run through a very little known CRA that specializes in tenant history. Got new auto insurance? They wanted to know your previous insurance issuer...and even if you didn't tell them, when they run the VIN on your car through their system to find it and then send that information into Choicepoint, it had the old information. Bought a new car? Chances are you traded the old one in...tracks there.

What the OP did was essentially equivalent to Witness Protection for victims of DV.

You're referring to NTN right? If OP did not give a previous address (I put down "homeless" on a rental app and got approved for this apt.) and new ID then it would not be traceable. New car - that's why I suggested eBay and forging the title. Trail stops cold there.

Which identity is on the car? New or old? If you trade the vehicle the only way it can be traced to you would be a title search and if its old identity then it would stop there.

Idea: sell the car for cash on eBay, forge the title and payoff the loan.

How far away did you move to "start over"? I figure you'd moved 500-1000 miles away. Family? if ex knows who your family is he could go after them. it's amazing what people will say with a knife to their throat or gun to their head. That is unless your family thinks you are deceased or something like that. Damn this situation you see in movies, not find people in real life that are actually doing it.

as far as the car goes, its in my old name. I was thinking about selling it to my new self or voluntary repossesing it AFTER buying a car in my new name. I like the ebay thing, except i owe more on the car then i could sell it for. I moved from one side of the US to the other (over 3000 miles)

There are only 2 members of my family that know about my new identity. They have helped me in getting my new driver license in my new name. Luckily for me, my ex has never been around them or knows where they live. He does know their names however. one of these members have an unlisted phone number, and the other doesnt even have a phone. They have vowed that if anything ever happens to me they will even hide my children out and move to a different country if they have to to keep him from getting them. he has no visitation and i have a LIFETIME restraining order against him that also protects the children.

Benz, GrimRepo is right in that I changed my entire name and still cannot get Experian to merge the file. However, I did not change my SSN#.

An ex-boyfriend in Las Vegas stalked me through my credit files to get my new addresses. All he knew was my name; he was able to do this back in 2001 because he owned a small business and the CRAs didn't want to lose his subscription business by denying him information. Since then, everything has gotten tougher due to identity theft problems and I don't think he could get away with that quite as easily again, but the CRAs are still greedy and think that their business customers will not abuse the system that way. I fought like hell to get his multiple inquiries off, but they still say they cannot block him from accessing my files. He doesn't have to prove to them that he has my actual permission!

Be especially careful if the perp ever opens a business where he can subscribe to a business CRA database. Money will buy you just about any information you desire.

You'd be amazed the amount of information a company like Lexis/Nexis keeps on you. Those guys could link you to your current identity through neighbors you had 20 years ago. It's sickening. Anything short of going into witness protection and it catches up. If you moved immediately after? Your rental app has previous address on it, which usually gets run through a very little known CRA that specializes in tenant history. Got new auto insurance? They wanted to know your previous insurance issuer...and even if you didn't tell them, when they run the VIN on your car through their system to find it and then send that information into Choicepoint, it had the old information. Bought a new car? Chances are you traded the old one in...tracks there.

Then you have the skip tracers...guys who get paid to find sudden holes in a person's history or to try and figure out where the trail leads. Even if the judgment with the new name change was sealed...there are ways to get that information. Hell, you tell me the city/state your in and even I could probably get it without knowing either your old name OR your new one (though my methods are a little different from what's traditionally used). 43 thousand dollars in debt doesn't just disappear no matter what one does. Even if they DID give up...they write off the losses, which goes into the IRS and uses your old information...which gives your new information...the write-off would be rejected under the guise that the consumer info was incorrect. Another kink in the chain.

There are a million and one things...and there is no way to close all of them off.

Oh your absolutely right XAN. I am printing this up and i am going to research each and every one. This is just the kind of info i am looking for.

Now to your first part, about the rental history. I have rented a house from a person (not a company or apt) he does no credit check or even criminal background which was great because i have no credit. So now i have that going for me to use this as a past address in the future. All i did was give him my deposit and first months rent. He didnt even make a copy of my ID. (That is why i rented a house) Alot of people that rent homes dont do all the background checking like leasing companies or apts.

Now to the car issue.. This is the one big kicker that i know i have to do something about. Too be honest i am thinking of going and buying a new car (either cash or finance) and voluntarily repossesing this one. That way the link is broken and i wont have to provide any VIN #'s etc to the car insurance company. As far as previous insurance, I will have to pay some higher fees for a time or find a different solution (previous insurance provider, possibly small insurance company)

As far as the sealed name change, a court order would have to be obtained to get the info, but i havent told anyone about the name change but its still something they may think of. They would have to provide a court order though.. Not sure how that would work (what reasons they could use to get a court order)

As far as the other items, those are all good things to know and research. I know there is always a slim chance of being found, but based off the new identifying info, I will be hard to track (as long as i continue to live a very private life)

I know my ex would not know about some of the things you have written, but he could definitely find out. So thanks XAN for telling me this stuff cause that helps me stay on my toes.

You are just too spooky Xan.

Then again all the changes in the world won't matter when you have to give up your fingerprints. Or your DNA sample for the national database.

*donning tinfoil hat*

aint that the truth!!! DNA and fingerprints says it all.

Benz, GrimRepo is right in that I changed my entire name and still cannot get Experian to merge the file. However, I did not change my SSN#.

An ex-boyfriend in Las Vegas stalked me through my credit files to get my new addresses. All he knew was my name; he was able to do this back in 2001 because he owned a small business and the CRAs didn't want to lose his subscription business by denying him information. Since then, everything has gotten tougher due to identity theft problems and I don't think he could get away with that quite as easily again, but the CRAs are still greedy and think that their business customers will not abuse the system that way. I fought like hell to get his multiple inquiries off, but they still say they cannot block him from accessing my files. He doesn't have to prove to them that he has my actual permission!

Be especially careful if the perp ever opens a business where he can subscribe to a business CRA database. Money will buy you just about any information you desire.

WOW Been Ponzied, even though you have the same SSN and a new name you still got seperate credit files?! WOW, I would think the SSN under 2 different names would immediately get you merged. What is their excuse on not merging your files together? Thats amazing! Did you move right after your name change or something? Maybe the 2 different addresses also threw a new file because the name and addresses were different even though it was the same number.. My ex stalked me from one side of the country to the other, and when he viciously attacked me one day and almost killed me he got 2years in the state pen (only because of the multiple previous convictions of stalking me and assaulting me) I got ahead of things before he got out even though i wasnt approved until after.

Screw the pepper spray... not good enough. It won't stop if someone is really enraged, and it will get you in the process. They may be hurting but they can still hurt you.

Try this stuff...

http://www.udap.com/ plus it will shoot like 30 feet and shoot for 8 seconds . :)

Good luck and I hope you never see him again.

Anti-Bear Spray for Grizzlys

The "Big Mama (fog) net contents: Fog 13.4oz/380g Maximum range approximately 35 feet

Pepper Power TM bear pepper spray developer / grizzly bear attack survivor Mark Matheny manufacturers of a complete system of bear deterrent pepper spray and personal defense pepper sprays with carrying accessories designed for quick access and potent stopping power.

WOW Been Ponzied, even though you have the same SSN and a new name you still got seperate credit files?! WOW, I would think the SSN under 2 different names would immediately get you merged. What is their excuse on not merging your files together? Thats amazing! Did you move right after your name change or something? Maybe the 2 different addresses also threw a new file because the name and addresses were different even though it was the same number.. My ex stalked me from one side of the country to the other, and when he viciously attacked me one day and almost killed me he got 2years in the state pen (only because of the multiple previous convictions of stalking me and assaulting me) I got ahead of things before he got out even though i wasnt approved until after.

Hi Benz; Yes Experian refuses to merge my credit files still. (The other two CRAs I had no problem with whatsoever). I have spoken to two big shot lawyers, and also the FTC and all said "if that is Experian's policy, they can do what they want." No, it has nothing at all to do with a residential move; I didn't move at the same time. And I sent Experian full legal documentation three times. Experian are just asses, that's all. - Oh and the only reason the stalker stopped trying to find me (I moved 500 miles away to evade him) is because he found a desperate woman who would marry him right away. It got his mind off me. Thank the heavens for that. I'd say you are very fortunate to be alive.

He was a an Ex-New York businessman from Staten Island and his wife had just died from cancer. He used to brag that he had mob ties but he was just a pathological liar. This guy broke into my apartment and claimed to have planted tiny cameras because he was a security salesman. (I don't know if he really did the camera thing because I ran, ran, ran). He followed me everywhere and I stayed on friend's couches, and I got a big guy to go everywhere with me as a body guard. Then the stalker started stalking my big friend and he filed for a TPO. The two Courts would only give us 30 days temporary restraining orders, because I couldn't prove that he was still stalking us (I hadn't looked at my credit files yet). I didn't go back to Court because by then I was 500 miles away and he met the other woman. Oh I am so glad it stopped. I got PTSD from it. I'm willing to bet you have PTSD too. I'm concerned for the other woman, but she will just have to find out the hard way. The Las Vegas cops sure weren't into helping me. He would slash my tires all the time, too, but I couldn't prove he did that. All I could do is to write to the local SAFE women's shelter organization and warn them about the man so he'd be on file with them.

Experian's way of doing things is a little different from most. The only way they'll update your name or address on a credit file is if a creditor reports it to the new name/address. So if there's nobody updating their account monthly...EX won't update your status. Yes folks, they even take the creditor's word over yours on things as simple as addresses.

Which also explains why the CRAs will not correct something that is inaccurrate when the OC continues to insist that it is! We have to do all the running around now to prove to the OC that it is inaccurrate. The FTC told me that I will have to get errors worked out with the OC. The bureaus are probably getting wise to these consumer credit sites that tell you to dispute everything.