"Pre-screened" offers for credit?

Why do cc companies send you "pre approved" junk mail offering you credit and then deny you credit when you apply? It says it is pre-screened. (I know, this has probably been asked a zillion times!) So, they screen you from some credit header that only has your address, and that is all?

I finally opted out. I hope doing that helps stop them from coming in the mail.

Pre-screened credit is determined if you fit the criteria of some CC/loan companies, info that they find on your CR. Address, DOB, etc. It's like saying "if you're 18 & older and male, you qualify". They look at your credit report, but dont' really LOOK at it. I don't know if I'm even sounding like I have sense right now. But it's not based on the TL or any meaningful info on your report. Just demographics.

They get general info from the CRA's - nothing specific. They mass-mail the invitations to apply to anyone... say... with a score above 600. It's all about marketing. :?

....the person in the avatar is yours truly :roll:

So, is that "photo shopped" or were you really on Jeopardy?

And don't roll your eyes at me! LOL

This was 10 years ago, but Discover sent me a "pre-approved" offer and then denied me credit. I was very ticked, so I sent back a copy of the initial offer with every place that said "pre-approved" highlighted and demanded that they honored their offer. They did and sent me a card! I've been a member ever since. I'm sure all their processes have changed since then though.

Yep. Never fall for "you are invited to apply." Total waste of an inquiry. Usually perpetrated by hoity-toity outfits like Citi, Chase, Discover and AmEx, that if you're honest with yourself, you know will not approve you unless you're in really good shape.

And I've also found that generally, the less information they ask for on the application, the closer they've already looked at you before sending the offer... and the greater your odds of getting the card. Your experience may vary... :wink: