Did I mess up??

enlightened

I am sitting here enraged and really mad at myself. I sent a letter requesting verification of a debt (Cingular was the OC) to a CA over a month ago. I didn't hear back so decided to call them. I was immediately transfered to someone who pressured me into paying the bill, even though I don't know what the bill was for. I did have an account with Cingular years ago but cancelled, and paid the final bill. He proceeded to tell me that their only obligation by law was the verify the debt, which they say they did. I argued to the point of tears.........then CAVED. He also said that he could not remove the negative listing off my report, but showing "paid" would be better than not paying. Did I make a mistake??

Naturally, my goals are to improve my credit score. They are looking pretty bad right now, mainly due to medical bills that insurance failed to pay, plus some lates from when my husband had surgery and was out of work for 4 months. Now that I've paid it, do I have any chance of having it removed, and if so, how long should I wait?

Thanks so much for your replies......I'm new to this and so far, have had some success at having items removed. Wish I'd found this site sooner!

You have just as good of a chance as any to get it removed. only one good thing is going for you now. Your CA doesnt care about you now that they got thier money, Ive found that they are relitively lazy and probably have alot of deadbeats working for them. Dont quote me on this part as im sure someone will correct me if im wrong, but i would concentrate on the other accounts that are hurting you and maybe next year this time dispute during the "chod" and most likely it will be gone soon after.

Not really true. I have found that paid collections are the hardest to get rid of. Once the debt is paid, you have removed a lot of your leverage.

First, they are no longer collecting a debt, but now just reporting credit experience. They can argue that the FDCPA no longer applies in this case. The FCRA does, but you just lost half your leverage.

Second, now that they have your money, all incentive they had to talk to you is now gone.

Third: Paying the bill is tantamount to admitting it is yours. In effect, it is no longer up to them to prove you owe the money, it is up to you to prove you didn't. Unless you get lucky and they stop verifying, you are probably stuck with this paid collection until it falls off.

This is precisely why we tell people not to deal with them on the phone. They are good at getting people to screw up on the phone. I don't enjoy giving people bad news, but a paid collection is much more difficult to remove. To answer your question: Yes, you screwed up.

Figured as much. Thanks for the straight shooting. I will certainly never, ever call another collection agency. They are all evil! All totaled my collection accounts only amount to $300 or so. Small balances that insurance didn't cover for whatever reason. I've disputed but they've come back verified. My scores went down this month (even though some adverse TLs were removed) probably because I applied for 5 credit cards last month (3 were approved). I guess I knew it would, in the hopes that once an established paying record with no lates would eventually improve my score. I think I am trying too hard, too fast. Perhaps I should leave this alone for a few months............. :oops:

EQUI/EXP/TU

566/568/581 10/13/05

524/548/563 11/14/05

Will do. Thanks so much for your help. Lord knows I need all the help I can get! Hopefully in a few months time my scores won't be so shameful. It just irks me that I have so many positives (never late on mortgage, credit cards) but just a few negs have such big impact. Who invented CRAs, anyway??? They should be shot.