hospital collections

rc

It's difficult when we don't know any of the details of what these collections involve. Were your HIPAA rights violated? Were these added erroneously? etc..etc...

Not asking you go into great detail, but there's no easy fix to simply removing things you don't want from your files. More info would be helpful.

Hey RC,

Don't ge discouraged.

This will take some work. You have to read the website links above and a few posts to get an understanding of the process.

Here's a two minute primer on getting started and the process.

http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24558&highlight=primer

• 3 weeks later...

Question. In this situation where the OC turned the account over to a CA. You get your notices and in turn do a DV. If the CA responds with details of how the charges were accrued, would that be in HIPAA violation. I am not sure if they would be sending bill info like procedures and diagnosis. That info is only for insurance, you and the doctor. So i would imagine you could get them in big trouble for that.

Beyond the niceties like 1) lack of a private right of action under HIPPA and 2) the existence of a business affiliate agreement beteen the OC and the CA, I find it hard to uinderstand how a provider could violate your rights to privacy when you dispute the medical services they bill for. Your bill, how is it wrong to give you your bill?

Recovering is right in what is said, and, as Lady explains in the other HIPAA post, you may have forfeited your rights at time of service. But, I will say again, contact your insurance carrier and ask them what is in their guide books as to providers accepting assignment from you. You can use them to help you. Many carriers have a special section for this matter. Not all of them, but, many do.

As to the remarks about filing a HIPAA complaint, the consumer does not have any rights to sue, but, you still file the complaints with the appropriate facility. If a violation is found, the provider and/or CA, depending on age of debt, is fined a very large amount of money. I think someone in the past said the first offense is near $50,000. In short, your filing a complaint still gets the job done, and maybe, your debt goes away.

In the course of your DV, if you think teh provider has given the CA too much perosnal information, send a secodn request , addressed to both the CA and the provider, asking to see the business agreement between them so you can be sure HIPAA has been complied with. cc the DHHS' Civil Rights office. The CA may decide it's more trouble than it is w orth and bury it