Same Name. Different SSN. Both take credit hit.

sje123

We cannot seem to convince Bally's (gym) or the Credit Bureaus that my husband is not my son. Son gets behind on his Bally's account and they report his late payment. Fine. Don't care. Not our problem.

EXCEPT he has the same name as my husband and was living at home (same address) when he opened the account. He doesn't live at home any more and has a different address.

The problem is that when my son is late (he's the type who has the money and forgets to put the check in the mail), for some reason, and I can't figure this is...both he and my husband take a credit hit. I know my son takes the hit because I have put him on a few of my credit cards (he doesn't get the card, just my good TL) trying to increase his credit score and I have access to his credit report because his True Credit reports come to me. I told him that if he can't pay his bills on time, he's not going to benefit from my TLs. So I monitor it and most of his stuff is paid on time but every now and again, Bally's comes up late.

So I see a month where he pays Ballys late and I check my husband's credit report and there is a late charge there as well.

No one can explain this to me and whenever we dispute it with the credit bureaus AND Bally's it comes back verified. I'm ready to kill everyone. Bally's told me on Friday that it's my son's fault and we should take it up with him. HUH?????

Help please.

No one can explain this to me and whenever we dispute it with the credit bureaus AND Bally's it comes back verified. I'm ready to kill everyone. Bally's told me on Friday that it's my son's fault and we should take it up with him. HUH?????

Malarky, this is violation of FCRA.

This one is hard because of the same name and address issue. However, they are illegally reporting this one debt (late payment) on two credit reoprts.

You need to do the 1-2 punch TWICE to get willful violation. (You must send the dispute request and the DV letter CMRRR. NEVER call Bally's or talk to them on the phone.) Then when the come back verified you need to send the ITS letter.

I doubt you can solve this unless you actually file suit.

Son gets behind on his Bally's account and they report his late payment. Fine. Don't care. Not our problem.

Wrong -this has become your problem.

IMHO: You need to tell you son pay your bills or find his own place to live. I know this is tough love but sorry, he has to learn not to screw up the rest of his life and the ones he cares about.

If you really want to drive the lesson home, make HIM write the letters and pay for the CMRRR for disputing this...

Good luck.

He doesn't live home anymore. He did live home when he had the Bally's account. Not only doesn't he live home BUT he lives in a completely different STATE now and has transferred his Bally's membership (and the two states are not even in the same part of the country! That is why we don't get how they can report this as my husbands account!

Son's level of taking responsibility has gone up ten fold in the last three years which is why we've agreed to put him on cc accounts to help his TL. He wants to buy a car in the spring. He makes a late payment to Bally's every so often when he forgets to mail his payment. That is something he needs to get his act together on (granted) and we've told him this over and over again and there is an upward trend (by a lot).

However, I can't understand how this reporting is still being done. Husband did try to talk to Ballys and (get this) they won't talk to him about the account because it's NOT HIS. When I called and described the situation in GENERAL TERMS (without having them look at the account) they said it sounded like my son had reported his father's ssn as his. I said no he did not, you report both of them whenever he is late and at first she said that was not possible but then she said I needed to talk to my son about paying on time. Yes, we all know this. She's preaching to the choir, but that does not excuse THEM.

Frustrating!!!

Your State Attorney General has a Consumer Protection Division to protect its citizens against such business practices. Don't try to take this on yourself - they'll just laugh at you.

Get the people that can actually do something against Bally's involved - that's also what your taxes pay for.

:wink:

hmm...Just a question, but are you pulling your husband's CR thru TrueCredit also? The point of the question is: How do you KNOW that your husband's report is taking a hit? You might be dealing with a completely different issue that has nothing to do with inaccurate reporting.

Anytime you get a tri-merge report, the data has gone through 3rd party software. There is no way you can prevent the merge of two files which share the same name and address (even if the address was previous for one of them). It's just the way the software works.

If the account and the lates are actually showing on your husband's Equifax, Experian and TransUnion files themselves, then you have a leg to stand on. If they are showing up in TrueCredit, it may just be something that happens during the merge. And, even if you get the raw data corrected, the mixing of these two files will continue during the merge. Social Security numbers are just not that high of a priority to the merge logic.

Your best defense against this is to be pro-active. Know what is accurate about your husband's report (sounds like you do) and have copies of both his and your son's raw bureau reports when someone pulls credit.

Yes, we have a True Credit account but when we dispute we get the actual reports from the 3 bureaus and all 3 have the wrong account on there.

Ballys said he has to send a DL picture to show it's not him (the person they have in their database). I said BS, they are still hitting TWO reports instead of one.