Target, Macys and other store accounts

sje123

A friend of mine makes a good salary (well over 6 figures) but is trying to improve credit thanks to divorcing crazy spending spouse from hell.

She was told to apply for store cards like Target and Macys b/c they supposedly give almost anyone a card with a small credit line (like 100.00) but raise it quickly if you pay on time.

Is this true? Just wondering what everyone's experience was with this.

She can probably get $200 on a Target Guest Card.

I have an aunt who is a multi-millionaire (she was a VP at a major firm on Wall Street), and she applied for a Macy's card a few years ago. They turned her down! And my late stepfather was never able to get them to increase his limit past $200, even though he had excellent credit and employment. They're pretty weird.

Oh man I've had my Macy's for about 1 year and they haven't given me a CL increase. Right now it's @ $100.00 dollars. I can only buy 1 thing and pay back my CC balance. My sister has had hers for 3 years and the first time she got a CL increase was after 6 months of having it. It went from $100.00 to $3500.00. What gives??? :cool:

I recommend against these types of revolving accounts. Although they may be "easy" to get (I'm not sure), in order to improve your credit, the accounts need to be used monthly. With a department store card, that can mean buying things you ordinarily wouldn't purchase. Spending money you don't need to spend is a foolish thing to do. {If your friend has access to a SuperTarget (that sells groceries) it's different. She can find something she would ordinarily buy each month to purchase there in order to show monthly utilization.}

For this reason, I think it's always better to obtain a MC, Visa or a gas card. They are accepted at a variety of merchants and can be used to purchase food, gas and other goods you have to buy anyway. Your friend should be able to obtain a secured CC, if not from her own bank or CU, then, there's always New Millennium Bank. Just my take on things...

Cards like Macy's and Foley come in handy for Christmas If you know how to manage your credit then it's a good card. I've had good experiences with my Macy's. The good thing about it. You can only use it there so since there is only 1 in Houston I can't go whenever I want. It's a drive just to get there. So when I need to use it I'll make the drive.

I semi-agree. I've never been in a Macy's, so I wouldn't apply for the card. But I buy things at Target every month, whether it be shampoo/soap/deoderant, so I do find myself using it monthly.

Well, it's not just Macy's. It's Bon-Marche, Bloomingdales, Robinson's May, etc. It's the whole Macy's family you can go into.

But I need to refute the theory that these cards are just a gimme for people. I've got a pretty good sized Macy's account, but Target? I tried applying for them about a year ago, and they wouldn't give me one. Keep in mind my score is well above 700, I have a 6 figure salary, no bad credit whatsoever, and some of the most sought-after prime cards in all the land--yet they wouldn't give me a toy card :p