Scoring confusion

Methuss

Sometimes I wonder if the bureaus just screw with me for fun...

Ok so we've all seen the posts about utilization...yadda..yadda. Well it seems that TU is turning that on it's head this month. Here's why:

I have a couple of revolving cards

Meijer (store card), $400 limit

CapOne Mastercard, $400 limit (for wife to use for daily stuff)

Providian Visa, $1500 limit (main card for big stuff)

Exxon/Mobil, $400 limit

The Providian card is near limit due to a laptop purchase a few months ago which I have not yet paid down. The rest were below 30%. Last month was a little tight on the finance side so the Meijer, CapOne, and Exxon cards were used a bit more than usual. This TANKED my score by over 40 points.

Now why this is frustrating is that this indicates to me that paying down small limit cards has a larger impact than paying down higher balances on bigger accounts...which is not what we've all come to expect and not what Fair Isaac advises (total utilization more important than individual card utilization).

Anyone else seeing this trend? It may indicate that FI has started implementing a new model again...

Yeah. I was thinking that if maybe the "high credit" on the card was only, say, $100 and the OP put $300 on it this month, Crap One would invariably report it as $100 high credit and $300 balance, sending the util. skyrocketing up to 300% and tanking the score.

Whenever they're part of the equation, I assume that's where the blame lies.

We know that. We're just wondering what might be the most obvious culprit. When Crap One is in the mix, you always have to consider that first, as they are the most notorious enemies of accurate utilization and tankers of scores.