Sign in to follow this  
jjclark

Non-PP help-they keep asking for my SS#

I recently sent a letter to Wells Fargo, who did three inquires on my credit report, saying prove or remove and pay. They sent me a letter saying they needed my Fargo loan number or my SS#. I replied saying, that I did not have a loan number (duh!) and I do not feel comfortable handing out my SS#. Once again, they sent a letter saying they needed my SS# or a copy of my credit reports.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I send the portion of my reports that have them listed as inquirers and black out my SS#? I refuse to give them my SS#.

B.T.W......One of the inquiries are valid as I had been shopping for a mortgage earlier this year, but the other two are not.

I would think that Wells fargo is right for asking for that information. Since your credit file works off your SSN, how do you expect them to

1) remove said inquiry

2) Verify you are who you say you are.

Most companies ask for at least the last 4 of your ssn. Maybe you can provide them with just that much information. It could be possible I suppose that maybe thier system is only capable of doing any sort of search by ssn. Im not sure what your name is, but it could be very common or they could have multiple people in thier databases with the same name, it is a very big company. Its up to you. but its my opinion that if you wanted to dispute the inquiries then they are well witihn thier rights to ask for that information

Are they really that concerned about verifying who you are?

They don't seem to have a problem mailing statements to a new address - all you have to do is write it in on the back of the bill. They have no idea if you really moved, or somebody swiped your mail.

I would not give them my SSN if I were in a similar situation.

This is a typical stalling tactic. And GHA- just because I give a company permission to pull my CR once, does nto mean they can pull it whenever they want from now on.