Collection Of Check Charges

retmar

Bounced check laws are State specific. In California:

Dishonored Checks

Any person who passes a check on insufficient funds shall be liable to the payee for the amount of the check, and a service charge payable to the payee not to exceed $25.00 for the first check, and $35.00 per check for each subsequent check to that payee. A person writing an NSF check is liable for treble damages under California Civil Code Section 1719 unless that person pays the face amount of the check, the service charge, and the cost of mailing a written demand by certified mail within 30 days of mailing of the notice. The treble damages shall not be less than $100.00 nor more than $1,500.00. When the person becomes liable for the treble damages, that person is no longer liable for the service charge or the cost of mailing the treble damages letter.

That's all I can find, Methuss. As you can see, it still does not answer my question. Nowhere does it say anything about if they redeposit it. My DW reminded me that in the old days, if the business redeposited the check, and it cleared, there were no fees.