vacating a judgment

paxwell

I had a contracter win a judgment on me in the year 2001. I feel I have good reason to vacate the judgment due to misrepresentation. My question, is there a statue of limitations in order to file . Also, how would I begin this procees. I have never done this before. I can't afford an Attorney. Thank you.

Thank you for your fast reply. I still have the defective part the contracter sold me. I hate to pay for a useless part. I wish there was some way, I can get rid of this judgment. I have been searching the site for information. In New York State the statue of limitations appears to be 6 years for a collection agency to collect. Does this mean after this time limit, I don't have to worry about an agency, freezing my accounts? I know a Judment is good for 10 Years, & can be renewed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IN NYS a judgment is a lien on your real property for 10 years, renewable on motion for another 10. A money judgment is enforceable against personal property for 20 years.

Did he file a mechanic's lien? If so, it has expired, I think ( can't remember my Lien Law). It is easy to file a Mechanic's Lien, but they must be acted on or lost.