Questions about Discover cards

Speaking of Discover, this just goes to show their marketing department is absolutely clueless.

I burnt Discover back in 1996 , to the tune of about $3800. I checked my CR's and I still have the promotional block on my CR's. Today I get a promotional invitation to apply for what else? A Discover card!! So .. I wonder where Discover got my info thinking I'm of sufficient quality creditwise to have one of their cards?

I wonder if there's some backdoor marketing going on with the CRA's that we mortals don't know about. Or worse - it's that secret 4th CRA Innovis that sold my info to Discover.

NativeChild48: How does one know if the Discover card is a Morgan Stanley Discover or a WalMart one? Does WalMart just do the co-branded Discover card?

Good Lord, I just received that offer from Discover today too, Grim. But of course an "invitation to apply." Yeah, that'll happen with a BK on my record. What can they possibly gain by spending the money to send out these random mailings, most of which will be denials? Targeted mailings I can see, but not these.

Speaking of which, I have now received my 6th identical offer (pre-approved) from Providian in the last 3 weeks. Surely there's a more efficient way to do this. Well, I have built up a nice collection of fake credit cards for my little niece to play make-believe with...

My niece is a true American child. Before she was two, she was grabbing anything that resembled a credit card (including actual ones) and making swiping motions with it, just like mommy! LOL

But these unsolicited offers that come with replica cards (I guess that's supposed to make me more likely to apply?!) at least have a purpose now.

My niece is a true American child. Before she was two, she was grabbing anything that resembled a credit card (including actual ones) and making swiping motions with it, just like mommy! LOL

But these unsolicited offers that come with replica cards (I guess that's supposed to make me more likely to apply?!) at least have a purpose now.

Your niece is a future bankruptcy in the making!!!

Grim, don't be absurd. She was a BABY, mimicking what she saw mommy do. She had no concept of credit or credit cards. She saw that mommy made a certain motion with an object of a certain shape. That's all it meant to her.

My sister regularly teaches her about money, savings and responsibility. What she ends up doing as an adult will depend on what circumstances she finds herself in, just like the rest of us. Mimicking mommy as a 2-year-old will not affect her financial behavior as an adult. :roll:

Grim, don't be absurd. She was a BABY, mimicking what she saw mommy do. She had no concept of credit or credit cards. She saw that mommy made a certain motion with an object of a certain shape. That's all it meant to her.

My sister regularly teaches her about money, savings and responsibility. What she ends up doing as an adult will depend on what circumstances she finds herself in, just like the rest of us. Mimicking mommy as a 2-year-old will not affect her financial behavior as an adult. :roll:

Don't you New Yorkers recognize sarcasm when you see it? sheesh

My niece is precious too. I've been saving for her college since she was 6 months old. I'm hoping she'll grow up to be a financial advisor. ;)

Anyway, has anyone else been bombarded by Providian in the last few weeks? The stupid thing is I applied with the very first one and got it, but they just won't stop sending these things. I suppose they're from a plethora of privacy-invading sources, but is it really so hard to keep track of who you've already solicited? :roll:

Those Crap1 checks are profit. It's about 10c for paper, .04c (4 tenths of 1 cent) for an envelope and printing. 37c or less for bulk rate presort postage. If they get one person to actually use one, Crap1 makes the 3% fee, then interest from day 1 at 15-25% interest depending upon their cash advance rate.

No wonder why Crap1 continues to send them out.

Ironically I applied for Providian via PayPal way back when my credit was in the low 500's and got denied. About 1 1/2 years later I get a "pre approved" ... yes I looked at it closely not a "approved to apply" or "invitation to apply" it really said "pre approved" but what they wouldn't tell you is the true interest rate you will pay nor any fees "If you are not approved for Platinum, you will be approved for .... which could carry an annual fee of X to Y."

You could be approved for 1 of about 4 cards and I seem to recall the last one was secured. Anyway I sent it in and got approved for $500 at 16.something % but the free FICO score was worth it.

I got the Platinum at $7K. Interesting since I burned them in my BK. But they pulled TU and coincidentally I had just succeeded in getting that Providian IIB deleted.

Does anyone know if Providian has graduated from subprime since becoming part of WaMu? Or is it just WaMu's subprime arm? I was just wondering, since I just got an 8.99% card from them.

I just realized I kind of hijacked the Discover thread. Should I start a new one? :?: