Authorized user - which is the best way to go here?

cominback

Ok...settled for less than full balance on five OCs a couple of months ago.

I have several relatives with amazing credit and they would be willing to add us as authorized user. Will being added to several different accounts as an authorized user help? Do they check income ratio on that since my relatives income is quite a bit larger than our education field income right now. Should my husband and I get added on different relatives cards so different TLs show up on each of our CRs or should we both get added to all that we can? Any help or advise will, as always, be so appreciated!

I need to know this, too. I was recently told by Home Depot (now backed by sucky Citibank) that if my husband adds me onto his account as authorized user, THEY WON'T REPORT ON MY CREDIT AT ALL, nor check my credit! They said all it means now to them is I can purchase on his account. If this is true, then we all have to stop advising people to do this as a form of building credit.

No. :(

for 2 reasons...

1- I asked him to do it. (suprise! He didn't!)

2- I couldn't find contact info for them back when they were in good standing. Of course now that they're all screwed up, I have lists of #s in my CR. Problem is, I doubt they will talk to me anyways, since I am not the account holder???

As of now, I've simply disputed these with the CRAs as "not my account". But you're saying I can call to get my AU status changed? Won't that just make them start chasing me for these balances?? Personally, right now I am terrified to talk to them, considering he's defaulted on all the accounts so badly I know they'll be with CAs soon. Also, his credit was so good back then that these limits were HIGH. Some of these balances are more than worth it to the OCs or CAs to sue over. :(

I've been thinking I"d keep my mouth shut until I have divorce papers in hand to show them that THIS IS NOT MY DEBT, OR MY PROBLEM!!!!!

Since you are "only" AU, contact the creditors individually and request you be removed as an AU.

They CANNOT come after you for the debt (are you in a CP state?) since you are not a maker on the account, just an authorized user. And they will talk to you with respect to having yourself removed as the AU. Once you are confirmed as being removed as an AU, cut up the cards and be done with them.

Creditors use divorce papers as TP. They don't care what divorce papers have on them.

The TL's should disappear once you have yourself removed as the AU.

Apparently I was indeed having a blonde moment. :oops:

And so far I have success. Called MBNA and got my name taken off as AU for both accounts... which is GREAT! They were the biggest, scariest accounts...over $35000 between both....one in collection already and the other about to go. Some of these I am debating on even calling, as they were closed in good standing. I just wish I had known months ago that I could call myself to be removed as AU. :(

Apparently I was indeed having a blonde moment. :oops:

And so far I have success. Called MBNA and got my name taken off as AU for both accounts... which is GREAT! They were the biggest, scariest accounts...over $35000 between both....one in collection already and the other about to go. Some of these I am debating on even calling, as they were closed in good standing. I just wish I had known months ago that I could call myself to be removed as AU. :(

Call anyway. Get yourself removed. It'll be the next step to cutting your ties to the STBX. Personally I couldn't WAIT to get my X away from my finances. Even if closed in good standing you don't want to be reminded of your X when you see your CR do you?

Ugh, the ex-files. Anyone know the answers to these?

Several years ago, I had my evil ex added as an AU to my Crap 1. We were heading towards oblivion at the time, but I did it anyway (yeah, I know). I never gave them his SS#, just his name. We lived in the same apt. building but not together.

We finally called it quits, and as luck would have it, I had second thoughts and never actually gave him the card. It was never activated. Earlier this year my card renewed and yes, his card was sent to me too (what a nightmare moment!!) I got on the phone to Crap 1, explained the situation, and had him removed.

Questions:

1) Is he actually benefitting from my credit right now anyway... is my a/c on his credit report?

2) Could this be why my Crap 1 cards mysteriously disappeared from my TU this year? Could they have mistakenly zapped me at the same time?