Sign in to follow this  
BanditMan

Helping a friend out with law suits

I am in the process of helping a friend out with a law suit against one of the JDB that is after him. Since I have the knowledge (thank you guys very much BTW), can I represent him in court in Texas even though I am not a lawyer?

I am in the process of helping a friend out with a law suit against one of the JDB that is after him. Since I have the knowledge (thank you guys very much BTW), can I represent him in court in Texas even though I am not a lawyer?

You can operate as his Attorney-In-Fact if you're married to him and have a Power of Attorney...but I'm guessing that you guys aren't gay married :p. I'm not sure what Texas's domestic partner rules are in that regard, but I'm guessing he's not that, either.

Doesn't matter unless you guys are "together" (and maybe not even then in Texas). Now, there might be a rule that lets you do it if the PoA is complete and irrevocable (i.e. my buddy lacks the mental capability or physical capacity to do such and such, therefore I do everything for him) but again...I doubt that's the case.