Items in collections, but not on report yet

Chipotle

Hey everyone. I am one of the newcomers, and I love this place. I like many of us screwed up, and now am suffering and as have learned from mistakes want to fix them instead of have them haunt me forever. I have some major screw-ups but will save that for another forum.

I have a few collections that I have been getting notices for and some calls, in which i have not answered them. One is for a medical expense (ins didnt cover all charges), a Direct TV bill, and maybe one or two others. I have a hard time remember what may pop up. I would like to take care of these obligations as they were my responsibility (except for the medical which is a bunch of crap being screwed by dr's and insurance). I cant pay them all at once, but can break everything up and make payments. But before I contact them and try to work something out, should I insist that they delete or state that they will not report anything and get it in writing before I pay them? Or if they have to report something, should I demand certain remarks/comments before I pay them. Let me know if you need any more information.

Ahh. I have heard some say you need to have a sob story. I have one, working on divorce for two years and raising the child without assistance from ex-wife. That may be irrelevant. I know they are in a business of money, not people.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Yes we do need more information. First is the state you are living in or were living in when you acquired these debts. Different states have different statues of limitations for debts. Another is when you acquired these debts, which is when you went delinquint on them. How much are they?

I know, divorce is hard, I'm going through it myself, but these places don't give a rat's butt. My sister and I were raised by my dad many years ago, long before they even asked women to help support their children. Did you go to court for child support? Even if you feel you don't want to deal with her, that is the children's right and your right to have her contribute to their upbringing at least financially. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Anisah in MI

Thanks for the replies!! I can tell you for sure that I am living in Ga and that is where the debt was initiated. There are two that I know for sure, where agencies are actively pursuing or contacting me about. One is for $480 and is for medical expenses left over after insurance payment. I have not seen or heard any mention of interest or fees. Also I have not seen anything on any of my reports regarding this collection or debt.

My other was for DirectTV, for only $120, aslo in Ga. No indication of interest or fees, and is also not on my reports.

Now being in Ga, this is a one pary state. According to what I have read, it seems that I can record my conversation. If i can get them to agree verbally to remove any record of the debt, or to not put any record on my report in exchange for my payment. That way I would have documentation. I guess I could do this in written form, but it seems like it would be easier over the phone since I would not have to tell them i am recording, and they are usually eager to agree verbally thinking that there will be no documentation of the agreement.

On the medical, go to teh provider directly and tell your sob story. Tell them what you can pay and when and ask them to pull it from the CA. Appeal to the physician's good nature. You need to address it to the doctor or the hospital CEO, not the billing dept!

On Direct TV, just pay it. If it isnt on your CR now, pay it before they post it.

Do not forget to use the DV methods you see here. They are helpful.

To add to Recovering's post, you need to also contact the insurance and go over the bill in it's entirety. If you have a copy, good. If not, it is in their system. Here is what you want to know:

1. What wasn't paid and why?

2. What is my responsibility?

3. If due to lack of proper information on claim, who is responsible for

supplying this info?

4. Were there any "Mutual Agreements" (Disallowed Charges)? What

this means is it is already an agreement that certain denied charges

are not the responsibility of the patient. Too many providers try to

collect on this anyway. I got one spanked very hard for this one

alone.

I say this as many providers do not abide by their agreements with carriers when accepting assignment. Some examples are that they are forbidden to balance bill which means that if they bill $400 and your carrier only allows $100, that is the most they can bill you for if the claim is denied. If a treatment is not covered, were you given the proper papers to sign acknowledging your responsibility if denied. Your whole intent is to assure the provider is demanding the amount stated by your insurance carrier. If they are trying to collect more, you can have some fun with this as your carrier will assist you in resolving this matter. Remember, when a provider accepts assignment from a beneficiary of any uinsurance carrier, they agree to abide by all rules and regulations set by the carrier.

On the Direct TV, do you think I should call them directly and offer to pay. I think i called before and they forwarded me to collections. Would have to call again to be sure. Now I would like to pay before anything appears on my report. But I would hate to pay now, and then have it show up latter as a paid off instead of nothing at all. Can i send them a CTP so long as they promise not to report to any of the CRA's, and hold on to the returned letter in case they do? Also I am not able to pay the full amount. I can make payments. I would prefer to spead things out. Not looking for a settlement, just dont want the scores hurt.

As far as the medical, i will check with the insurance to make sure the hospital was not contracted to charge a specific amount. But in the event that what I owe is legit, can i do the same as above and offer to pay, but have a stipulation stating that they cannot report to the CRA's.

As to the Direct TV, you can try that. But, do not call them. Create a letter that clearly explains your intent to resolve this matter. You may include as to what caused the delinquency, etc. and hope the right person reads the letter and responds. Where you want to stress your point about the reporting is that you will state that you have full knowledge as to how CA's work and that you do not trust they will work with you in a professional manner. Then include that, in some states, an OC can be held liable for the actions of their assignee, and you desire to not chance anything like this to happen as you do not wish to have to pursue further litigation, etc, with them or the CA. You get the drift.

As to the Medical, verify with your carrier before you do anything else. If you do not have a copy of the original bill with the provider's letterhead, do not worry about it. Many times, billing is done electronically. Do not contact the CA or the OC for a copy as it is not as important as the EOB. Be sure you understand exactly what is on the bill and what is on your EOB (Explanation of Benefits) from your carrier. All EOB's clearly state as to what is the beneficiary's responsibility. Again, at no time, is a provider allowed to bill a beneficiary for any other amount than that displayed on an EOB, unless, it is a non-covered item that was properly agreed upon prior to treatment and signed by you or your representative. If this was not done, the OC must write off as a loss. Remember, if you do find the OC in error, contact your carrier for further assistance.

I used to work for an OC that used a collection agency that simply did not report to CRAs at all (though it would sell the debt to JDBs that might, if it wasn't paid).

Try to pay the OC now, or dispute it with the OC now. I had a similar situation with Qwest, and I gave 'em hell (e-mailed CEO eventually, after no satisfaction) and they investigated and discovered it was their error to the tune of $100, the entire balance. No harm, no foul; no CRA activity.

Calling is generally useless, though you can try once. Otherwise, do it in writing (or e-mail for the execs).

Most definitely write or email as either will produce a copy, plus proof of delivery. To add, you can call the OC, but, you would want to be sure you were connected with one who is willing and able to assist you. Sometimes it takes more than one call to find that person, but, it can happen. I was able to do this on only one occasion, but, it took numerous calls over a few months, and I was lucky. She got it all done, including letters of deletion.