bf9868539

Experian want police report?

I sent Ex a dispute of a collection account, saying it was not mine, and I had been the victim of credit fraud. A couple years ago someone stole my laptop, I never filed a police report, but a couple accounts were opened, I assume because I had alot of info on the laptop. Ex said to send a police report and they will delete the entry, are they stalling on the 30 day thing?

I sent Ex a dispute of a collection account, saying it was not mine, and I had been the victim of credit fraud. A couple years ago someone stole my laptop, I never filed a police report, but a couple accounts were opened, I assume because I had alot of info on the laptop. Ex said to send a police report and they will delete the entry, are they stalling on the 30 day thing?

If I am not mistaken when you ask for an alert to be put on your account and you point to specific accounts as being fraudulent, filing a Police Report is one of the things you have to...this per Suze Orman's show.

- Mike G.

Agreed, if you have a true instance of ID theft then you need to file the report. The CRA's will flag your account for possible fraudulent activity which I think requires contact with you before granting credit, so no "instant credit". I might be confusing a fraud alert with a "freeze" though

You don't owe Ex a police report so they "can delete". A police report shows nothing they need to be able to delete anything from your files - it simply shows a report has been filed.

Somebody at Ex has their head up their rear.

Further, it's not up to decide what stays and goes. It's a bogus collection, they send the dispute to the CA and the CA sends the results of the investigation back.

Also, you cannot depend on the CRA's to do everything for you - if a CA or OC has placed erroneous information into your file, you have to include them to in the dispute process as THEY are the ones who are reporting the information. :wink:

And yes, think about that fraud alert.

Although Doc is correct that a police IDTheft report is not required to handle your claim, you get a lot of extra legal protection if you do provide one.

Under the FACTA amendments, once they get the police report, the CRA is required to permanently supress the IDTheft items. They have no choice in the matter. Also, they are required to send a copy of the report to the furnisher. Once the furnisher gets it, they are required to take measures to ensure that they never attempt to report the items and they are required to never sell or farm out for collection the item ever again. If it is a junk-debt buyer or other CA entity, they are forbidden to try and sell it to anyone else...it's their loss.

So if you have a legitimate IDTheft claim, there is no reason why you should squawk over it. It takes only about half an hour to fill out the report at the police station and there is no limit on how long ago the fraud happened to file the report.

Good point. I obviously need to re-read FACTA since I missed the "mandatory" part. :wink:

On a side note, I can see this creating a huge loophole... What's to stop anyone from filing a false police report knowing it will never be followed up on because it's a bloodless crime? The police themselves state there is little they can (want to) do.

If the CRA's simply delete every time they receive a copy of a police report, I can see this causing some big issues down the road... :?

...not to mention, this is giving the CRA's more of an active role in deciding how to handle disputes - something that in the past has been proven to be disastrous for the consumer. If you don't wish to file a police report (which is your right), do they just ignore your dispute?

:?: