30 Day Late After Mortgage Refinance

Lil Smurfette

My friend and her DH refinanced there house May 05, WAMU (Original Mortgage Lender) is showing them with a 30 day late in June. They immediately called WAMU requesting for the inaccurate information to be removed from their credit reports, 6 months later it's still incorrect. What can my friends DH do to get this late removed off his report and updated on the Credit Bureaus by 12/10/05.

What can my friends DH do to get this late removed off his report and updated on the Credit Bureaus by 12/10/05.

NOTHING.

All CRA disputes are allowed 30 days.

She should start a CRA dispute right away and SOMETIMES the CRAs fix errors promptly, but since it is CHOD season - I doubt it. She might be able to send them a copy of the paid note and Deed of Trust but that could muddy up the water and ensure that this mess takes 30 or more days to fix.

She should also send a well worded CMRRR to WAMU ( threaten to pursue legal action,) and they might be able to fix this faster.

Using a softer approach may work better the first time.

Yes, I see your point and would normally agree.

However, the OP said they already contacted Washington Mutual and got no response.

More importantly the OP said she needed this fixed fast, hence the sledge hammer approach.

Check with the Title company that handled the refi. Ask for copies of the wire transmittal of the settlement funds. One of two things will happen: You will have proof that the funds were in WaMu's possession on-time; or you will find out that the Title company screwed up and failed to release the funds from escrow before it would be considered late.

This happened to me. The Title company sat on the escrow for a full week after the recission period had expired (3 business days after you sign) instead of paying promptly. They ended up wiring the settlement funds at 3:00pm on the 30th. Of course my mortgage servicer (countrywide) didn't post it until the 1st and they now claim I was late. Thankfully the wire-transfer confirmation shows otherwise.

But still, I will have to fight this one through the courts. Countrywide doesn't seem to think they are required to post mortgage payments on the day they receive them.

BTW: You can be polite and soft when you use the Sledge Hammer Approach!

My momma taught me to use my please and thank you's no matter what the conversation is about...

e.g.

Please go to Hades

Thank you for being too stupid to live in my neighborhood...

Please eat toxic waste and die.

Please fix your error immediately or I will be forced to consider more serious legal remedies to protect myself and my credit rating. I know how difficult it is to get all those payments right, however, correct reporting to the Credit Bureaus in not only the law but very important to my future credit rating as well.

• 2 weeks later...