TU Sends A Letter Before the Dispute Is Complete

Bambee

I just disputed an account on my credit report and TU sent me a letter demanding proof of my date of birth as a condition to processing my dispute. Thing is - TU already has my correct date of birth on file! Furthermore, TU has investigated other accounts that were on my report in the past without having a date of birth at all so what's the big deal.

My question to you is whether I should a) Call TU and tell them that they already have my correct date of birth, B) send additional proof of my date of birth, or c) wait until the 30 day time period on my investigation has expired and call or write TU. I'm very reluctant to communicate with TU during the investigation period because I don't want to extend the investigation time for 15 additional days. Please advise.

The FCRA defines what is considered valid proof of identity, not the bureau. If you included a copy of your State issued driver's license with your original complaint (as is recommended in the site instructions on disputing), that is all the law says they can demand as proof of identity. Since a DL always has a date of birth on it, that would suffice.

Thanks for your reply! So are you suggesting that I send in another copy of my driver's license and extend the investigation time an additional 15 days or should I wait until the 30 investigation period has expired and send the DL then? TU already has my correct date of birth and I'm sensing that this is a stall tactic.