Shady DV replies from CAs... what next??

Cole

Ok, I got 2 replies in the mail yesterday from CAs in response to my DV letters. One I think sounds plausible... but the other is a big I DON'T FRIGGIN THINK SO. Any suggestions on how to handle these?

Resurgent Capital Services... Says they got my letter, and they have "ordered the documents you requested from the OC and expect them to arrive in 10-12 weeks. The documents will be forwarded to you upon receipt. Information inclued- 1. This account originated on 10/19/2000... 2- this account was charged off by Citibank on 4/14/2002.... 3- Payments have been recieved totalling $527.00." I also find it interesting that this letter shows the "Previous Creditor: Citibank. Current Creditor LVNV Funding". Also blanks out the first 4 #s of my account number, which I've never seen, lol!

Ok, the second one? (Midland Credit Management) This is a joke, right? I send them a DV, and they send me a letter stating:

"The purpose of this letter is to request your assistance so that we may reach a quick resolution to your dispute. We are attempting to verify your dispute and it would be helpful to have a copy of any documentation you may have that proves your dispute. In the interim, we have requested the three major consumer credit reporting agencies change the status of this account to 'Disputed'"

There is a nice little foot note to "Disputed" that says *Your credit report will not be updated if the federal reporting period has expired*

Are they for real? I send them a DV and they basically turn around and tell ME to provide the information????

Ok, what do I do with these guys now??

Very typical CA actions.

You don't neet to supply the CA with information to help them prove their case; that's their job. As to the other, 30 days is sufficuent time for them to repoond; if they take 10-12 weeks then that's just too bad for them.

In both cases, you simply need to follow-up the DV with the second letter (after the initial 30 days has expired) to re-state your requests and give them an additional 15 days as a gesture of cooperation...when they still don't properly validate as they almost certainly won't, then you can take the next step.

You send Resurgent another letter reminding them that until they complete the verification they cannot try to collect the disputed amount and that includes reporting it to any CRA as they have reason to know it's not a valid debt and that you will sue them if they do so.

With Midland, check your CR in 45 days or so and see if, in fact, the posts include a "disputed by consumer" tag. If not, send them the ITS

With Midland, you send a letter informing them that it is THEIR job to validate and since they cannot, they must immediately C&D and delete their TL from the bureaus! CC: the bureaus where Midland has a TL and include a copy of the letter from Midland. 8-)